||Housing, Social Services & Dearness Home
|Posting Open Date
||Personal Support Worker/Nursing Summer Student
||Dearness - Service
|Summary of Duties
Working under the supervision of the Registered Nurse or the Registered Practical Nurse and following the policies and procedures outlined by the home. The PSW provides personal care to residents to meet their physical, emotional, social, cultural and spiritual needs. PSW’s /HCA’s are active members of the interdisciplinary team, and assist in the planning, implementing and ongoing evaluation of individualized plans of care within the philosophy of care of the home.
A. Care Delivery:
- Support continuity of care with a primary care assignment.
- Assist residents with activities of daily living (ADL) as per their plan of care and under the direction of an RN or RPN in order to promote the comfort and safety of residents. These activities include:
- bathing and dressing, shampooing hair, mouth care (routine and special), skin care
- meal service and feeding assistance
- provide verbal input to resident assessments, quarterly reviews and care plan updates
- reporting meal intake - Intake & Output as applicable
- grooming including nail care, (except in diabetics) and shaving
- ambulation with or without aids
- carrying out established programs for toileting, physio, activity, and life enrichment programs
- reactivation and rehabilitation
- lifting and transporting residents using mechanical devices as applicable
- positioning residents as applicable
- observing residents and reporting any changes or unusual occurrences, i.e.: rashes, scalp problems, bruised skin or scratches to the charge nurse
- providing physical assistance to residents as required
- answering call bells and door alarms within three (3) minutes whether or not on assigned caseload
- caring for incontinent residents routinely & when required
- Accurately record all care delivered including meals and nourishments consumed, positioning and re-positioning of restrained residents.
- Assist with admissions, discharges and transfers of residents.
- Participate in resident care conferences.
- Assist with care of the body after death.
- Collecting specimens as directed by the registered staff.
B. Organization and Communication:
- Participate in report and notify the registered staff of all conditions and incidents involving residents, families or staff members including injuries, unsafe work habits or working conditions, complaints etc.
- Refer all requests for information about a resident to the registered staff.
- Interact and converse consistently with residents, their families and other staff in a positive manner.
- Promote a safe work place by following the rules of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and/or specific policies of the facility for lifting and transferring procedures and in the operation of all equipment as well as prompt reporting of any unsafe equipment.
- Carry out all duties in a manner that promotes prevention of infection and disease transmission.
- Participate in mandatory in-service education and committee and other meetings that foster professional growth and development.
- Perform other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
||• Successful completion of Grade 12 in the Province of Ontario or equivalent.
• Personal Support Workers have completed the Personal Support Workers certificate program through a recognized College or educational institution.
• Enrolled in the Practical Nursing program or enrolled in the Bachelor of Science in Nursing program.
• Experience in a long-term care setting is preferable.
• An ability to take direction as well as understanding policies and procedures is required.
• A caring and empathetic attitude is crucial as well as working pro-actively as a member of the multi-disciplinary team.
• Understanding of the definition of Elder Abuse.
• Current CPR.
Start - $22.92 per hour
6 Months or 1040 hrs - $23.20 per hour
1 yr or 2080 hrs - $24.25 per hour
This posting is for multiple positions.
Starting May 1, 2020 until mid-September 2020.
||Please Upload Your Transcripts or Proof of Enrollment with Your Application (under the Documents Section)
Please note to move to the next step in the application process following the interview, you will be asked to provide the following:
· Police Records Check and Vulnerable Positions Screening for Employment Purposes Check (dated within the last six months)
· Written verification of a negative 2-step TB test (current to within 6 months)
OR · Chest x-ray (current to within one year).
Click here to apply online
As an inclusive employer, we are committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please let us know if you require any accommodations. Click “Apply Now!” to be taken through the steps of our application process. If you know someone who may be interested in this opportunity, click “Tell A Friend”. Visit our Recruitment Process pages for detailed instructions, FAQs and tips.