Summary of Duties
Reports to the Manager III, Plans Examination. Examines all drawings, plans specifications and design data primarily for small to medium size buildings and structures to ensure compliance with the Ontario Building Code Act, the Ontario Building Code, related municipal by-laws and other applicable laws.
- Exercise powers and performs duties under the Act and Building Code for examination of all submitted drawings, plans, specifications, and design data primarily for small to medium size buildings and structures to ensure compliance with the Building Code Act, the Ontario Building Code, related municipal by-laws and other applicable laws.
- Examines mechanical plans for small residential buildings to ensure compliance with the Ontario Building Code.
- Examines plans for small residential buildings for compliance to the applicable zoning bylaws.
- Evaluates "alternate solutions" under the objective based provisions of the Building Code to ensure that they will perform as well as a design that would comply with the acceptable solutions in Division B of the Building Code.
- Exercise powers and performs duties in accordance with the standards established by Code of Conduct as per Section 7 of the Building Code Act.
- Answers verbal and written enquiries regarding various regulations, policies, and
- procedures to architects, engineers, designers, constructors and the public within their area of responsibility.
- Keeps supervisor informed of deviations from office policies requiring modifications.
- Coordinates and ensures that other required approvals related to plan examination are obtained prior to the issuance of building permits for which the incumbent is responsible.
- Checks the weekly report and that the applicable development charges are noted on the application and the estimated cost of construction and, if necessary, adjusts in accordance, with the approved schedules.
- Reviews building plans to ensure that the appropriate information is submitted to allow the processing of permit applications.
- Receives permit applications and enters them in the computer system.
- Calculates and/or collects all user fees and issues receipts.
- Updates approval status information on computerized permit database in accordance with Building Division procedures.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Three year Community College Diploma in Architectural Technology or equivalent.
- Three years prior Building construction experience.
Specialized Training & Licenses
- Must be qualified in the categories of: Small Buildings, Building Structural, HVAC House as defined under Division C Section 3.1 of the Ontario Building Code.
- Must have successfully passed the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing examination on General Legal/process.
- Maintain qualifications as determined by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing.
$50,180 - $72,067 (Level 12)
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
These hours of work are subject to change in accordance with the Collective Agreement and may include evening hours and Saturdays.
This posting is for 2 positions.
Note: Applicants may be required to complete a job related test.