Summary of Duties
Reporting to the Manager, Human Resources & Corporate Services, the Occupational Health & Safety (OH&S) Advisor is responsible for assisting Service Areas in meeting their organizational responsibilities to Occupational Health & Safety legislation by providing expertise and advice to promote a culture of safety and ensure a safe work environment within the Corporation. In addition, the OH&S Advisor is responsible for investigating accidents, work refusals and liaising with Ministry of Labour on compliance matters. The OH&S Advisor leads the City of London’s Occupational Health and Safety Management Program, participating on Joint Occupational Health and Safety Committees, assisting in the management of Workplace Safety Insurance Board (WSIB) claims and supports the return to work process.
- Interpret and monitor compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations, Ministry of Transportation (Ontario Traffic Code) and other pertinent codes and standards; liaise with and represent the Corporation in matters involving the regulatory authorities including the Ministry of Labour (Occupational Health & Safety Branch), Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA), and Electrical Safety Association (ESA).
- Research, develop and advise on implementing hazard control measures for risk reduction. Provide leadership, direction, advice and assistance to management and staff on all health and safety related matters including technical and practical information, assistance and support regarding work refusals, health and safety concerns, injury and loss prevention, legislative and Corporate compliance, incident investigations, etc.
- Support and foster a culture of safety within the Corporation and by collaborating with Managers and Supervisors in other Service Areas to resolve health and safety issues. Consult with various areas in the development and ongoing monitoring of annual Continuous Improvement Programs (CIP) (i.e., objectives).
- Determine health and safety training needs at all organizational levels focusing on early intervention. Develop, coordinate and facilitate training courses and other instructional programs for the purpose of preventing injuries and meeting legislative compliance.
- Develop and maintain an occupational hygiene program; identify and evaluate exposures to chemical, physical and biological agents which may adversely affect the physical, mental and social well-being of workers; conduct sound level surveys, designated substance, confined space and ergonomic assessments.
- In consultation with Occupational Health personnel and Service provider, determine medical surveillance protocols as they relate to pre-placement health assessments, hearing conservation, respiratory protection and other health surveillance programs.
- Perform workplace audits and inspections to identify potential and actual hazards in facilities, work activities and health and safety programs to advise on preventative/corrective measures and compliance. Provide recommendations, direction and support for reducing risk in diverse service sectors such as construction, industrial, fire and health care.
- Perform ergonomic assessments; recommend and advise on measures for the prevention of injury and illness and to provide accommodation and comfort. Provide assistance to Return to Work Services as required.
- Develop workplace health, safety and wellness policies and procedures through consultation and researching and analysing options. Draft policies and procedures for approval and perform required training once adopted. Evaluate effectiveness through consultation, support and monitoring of the policies and procedures during implementation.
- Perform and/or facilitate accident investigations to identify root cause and provide recommendations for the prevention of similar incidents. Facilitate work refusal investigations; writes reports on incidents resulting in critical injuries, occupational illnesses and workplace violence for internal communication, legislative compliance and submission to authorities (Ministry of Labour).
- Establish specifications for the purchase of safety related clothing, equipment, and materials for Service Areas. Develop and maintain clauses for Corporate tendering and purchasing for construction and maintenance contracts. Perform audits/inspections of contractors to protect the health and safety of staff and to establish due diligence for the Corporation.
- Monitor the activities of joint health and safety committees, provide guidance and support; serve as a resource to Joint Health and Safety Committees.
- Identify issues and trends that require a broader organizational strategy. Analyse incident reports and statistics to identify root causes to prevent reoccurrences and prepare summary reports as required.
- Provide expertise and guidance as it pertains to health and safety related grievances and discipline.
- Administer and use a variety of software programs to effectively support the Corporate health and safety programs and the health and safety management system.
- Provide input into the budgetary needs of the Occupational Health and Safety Section.
- Develop and maintain external (government, regulatory agencies) and internal (bargaining units and managerial staff) networks. Establish the personal and professional contacts necessary to remain abreast of legislative and research developments.
- Perform specialized Human Resources Division projects and other related duties as assigned.
- A degree or diploma in Occupational Health and Safety, Occupational Hygiene, or a related discipline combined with a post-graduate certificate or diploma in Occupational Health & Safety.
- Five years of previous related experience as a management representative working in a unionized environment.
- Registered as a Canadian Registered Safety Professional (CRSP) designation or similar occupational health and safety related certification is an asset.
Specialized Training & Licenses
Skills and abilities in the following areas are necessary:
- Specialized training in understanding and applying relevant legislation, codes, standards, ergonomics, and elements of a health and safety management system.
- Demonstrated superior verbal, written and presentation skills and highly developed interpersonal skills.
- Knowledge of environmental instrumentation and technical application of use for the measurement and analysis of contaminant exposure.
- Proficiency in the use of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook) to prepare reports and presentations; ability to utilize software applications for instrumentation and calibration programs.
- Knowledge of health and safety management, theory and practice, occupational hygiene, toxicology, epidemiology and ergonomics, with the ability to use judgment in the application of this information when dealing with complex issues in a diverse work environment.
- Sound knowledge of adult learning principles with proven ability to develop/deliver safety training.
- Sound knowledge of the relevant regulations and legislation including OH&S Act, WSI Act, with the ability to communicate their significance and relevance to each situation and familiarity with OH&S portion of the Criminal Code.
- Sound investigative and analytical skills, including the ability to interpret statistical data, to identify issues, and make recommendations.
- Constructive and creative thinking with demonstrated sound decision making skills in handling situations of a complex and sensitive nature.
- Excellent organizational, time management and problem solving skills with ability to coordinate and set priorities to meet deadlines while dealing with conflicting demands and changing priorities.
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively as part of a team.
- Ability to work outside normal business hours, as required, and to respond to emergency situations on an on-call basis.
Compensation and Other Information
$80,845 to $109,487
This is a permanent position being filled on a temporary basis for up to 6 months.
As an inclusive employer, we are committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need.