||Apr 30, 2021
Considered Canada's most beautiful University, Western's main campus spans 400 acres of Gothic-style buildings mixed with modern LEED-certified capital structures providing an idyllic environment for our community of scholars. The university is located in London, Canada, a safe, vibrant and welcoming community of more than 350,000 people serving as a regional medical and industrial hub for southwestern Ontario.
Facilities Management is responsible for the planning, development, engineering, construction, operation, maintenance and stewardship of all the buildings, infrastructure, sites and services within Western’s campus community. Our integrated Team provides excellence in creating and maintaining Western’s facilities and in serving the community (over 100 buildings covering over 9 million square feet on more than 500 acres). Our vision is to be recognized as the leader in facilities management among research-intensive universities worldwide.
The Manager, Plumbing/Fitting is accountable for the proper operation, installation, inspection, repairs and preventative/predictive maintenance programs to plumbing systems, vacuum systems, compressed air systems, hydronic heating systems and chilled water systems completed by the plumbing/ steam-fitting staff. The Manager provides effective leadership to the team and ensures efficient, safe and reliable delivery of these services to University staff, faculty, students and visitors in accordance with legislative requirements, specifications and drawings. The Manager will also provide technical advice regarding all aspects of the University’s plumbing/fitting systems and will participate in the development, management and control of the operating budget. In addition, the Manager supports continuous improvement as well as Facilities Operations and Facilities Development & Engineering on projects and maintenance issues.
- Fully licensed Plumber or Steamfitter as recognized by the Province of Ontario; or a University Degree in Mechanical Engineering/Diploma in Mechanical Engineering Technology
- Certificate in Management (CIM), or equivalent – preferably completed or working towards
- Maintain a valid Ontario Drivers’ License
- Maintain a current First Aid Certificate including CPR
- Current Ontario Water Works Association Certificate and TSSA Gas Certificate is preferred
- 5 years' experience in maintenance management, preferably in an academic setting
- 3 years' experience in a continuous improvement environment within a technical setting
- 3 years' experience supervising staff in a unionized environment
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of the National Plumbing code, National Gas and Propane Installation code, Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code, Ontario Building Code, CSA Standards, Ontario Water Cross Connection code, Ontario Fire code and Occupational Health and Safety Act
- Knowledge of Technical Standards and Safety Authority (TSSA) regarding Ontario Gas Utilization Code
- Knowledge of preventative maintenance management administration and reporting
- Experience in contract management/negotiation of technical and service contracts
- High degree of professionalism with outstanding ability to work effectively and efficiently with internal and external clients at all levels of management
- Demonstrated coaching, mentoring and communication skills to enable team members to achieve high quality outcomes
- Demonstrated understanding of customer needs to ensure good communications with both internal and external customers
- Exceptional organizational skills, and the ability to manage activities both for self and other effectively
- Solid understanding of key financial principles coupled with experience managing a cost-recovery department
- Emotional intelligence (self-knowledge, self-management, social skills, empathy) to ensure own work life balance, health and energy, and good collegial relationships are maintained
- Ability to work in a fluid and challenging work environment with changing deadlines
- Intermediate knowledge of PeopleSoft (HR and Finance) and the Microsoft Office Suite; thorough knowledge of maintenance management systems, administration, report development, and leadership of change
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca to apply online to job reference #22489, by midnight on May 14, 2021.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.