||Oct 06, 2021
EMPLOYEE RELATIONS SPECIALIST
JOB TITLE: Employee Relations Specialist
SALARY RANGE: $68,325 - $90,357
HIRING RANGE: $68,325 - $87,206
DATE OF VACANCY: As soon as possible
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 2021 October 18
The Employee Relations Specialist contributes to a broad range of labour and employee operational functions of the department by completing assignments and projects to support department managers, supervisors and other senior administrators as required. The Employee Relations Specialist assumes administrative responsibility for specific operational areas such as attendance support, Children’s Aid Society allegations involving TVDSB employees, job evaluation/pay equity, and Support Staff Performance Management. The incumbent conducts investigations and investigative inquiries under policy or as directed by the manager, and addresses employee attendance concerns and conduct/behaviour issues.
- Support supervisors with employee attendance and behaviour/conduct, and support staff performance management concerns
- Administer the Attendance Support Program
- Facilitate and conduct investigations (formal and harassment and investigative inquiries)
- Manage support staff job evaluation programs
- Liaison for Children’s Aid Society allegations involving TVDSB employees
- Support supervisors with employee attendance and behaviour/conduct, and support staff performance management concerns by preparing reports, supporting supervisor/leading meeting with employees to address concerns and discuss expectations/correction action
- Participate in collective bargaining process as a member of table-team, and/or assist with preparation for bargaining by completing research, developing contract language or compensation scenarios
- Conduct investigations, and prepare report under Board policy; conduct internal investigations as requested by the Manager
- Assist in review and revision of existing human resources policies/procedures to ensure compliance with current legislation; draft language for new policies and procedures as mandated by human resources administration team
- Provide support to labour relations processes as requested by the Manager
- Coordinate the attendance support program; develop and maintain system reports on staff attendance; monitor program, analyze and assess results; coach management staff to ensure consistent and timely application of the program
- Receive notification of allegations referred to Children’s' Aid Society (CAS) involving staff; liaise with school administrator and CAS agencies; consult with appropriate senior administrator and provide consultation and guidance to school administrators regarding next steps
- Gather information from police, CAS, and court officials regarding employees who have been charged with a criminal offence; prepare information required for Ontario College of Teacher investigations
- Coordinate and maintain job evaluation processes and plans for employee groups; identify risks to Board and take action as necessary to ensure compliance with pay equity legislation; respond to complaints and investigations from Pay Equity Commission
- Conduct information and training workshops for administrators, supervisors, and union officials
- Complete special assignments as requested by Manager
- Participate as representative on Board-wide system committees
- Demonstrate current knowledge and a comprehensive understanding of agreements/terms and conditions, legislation, and board policies
The recruitment process requires a criminal background check for work with vulnerable persons.
Please note it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is received by Human Resources on or before the deadline date.
Conditions of Employment with Thames Valley District School Board, due to COVID-19 requirements
- Proficient in computer applications such as Outlook 365, MS Office Suite, etc.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with effective communication skills, both orally and in writing
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Knowledge and a comprehensive understanding of agreements/terms and conditions, legislation, and Board policies
- Ability to interpret collective agreement/terms and conditions language
- Strong analytical and critical thinking skills with the ability to research and identify reliable sources of information
- Ability to identify concerns and problem-solve situations
- Sound understanding of investigative and report writing principles and practices
- Ability to demonstrate and act with diplomacy in sensitive situations
- Ability to provide guidance, coach, and mentor leaders in appropriate next steps
- Completion of a four (4) year Degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or Social Sciences or a three (3) year Degree combined with a one (1) year post-secondary program in Human Resources or equivalent
- Three (3) years of related work experience is required
- Certified Human Resources Leader designation is preferred
If you were educated outside of Canada, you must have your certificates and/or diplomas or degrees assessed against Canadian education standards. This will enable you to provide proof of Canadian equivalency when applying for a job. The Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada is a membership organization that offers fair and credible academic credential assessment services in Canada. (NOTE: This is different from translating credentials into English).
Please use the "APPLY FOR THIS POSITION" link below to submit your electronic application. Only applications submitted using this link will be considered.
The Thames Valley District School Board is committed to equity and inclusion in the recruitment of qualified staff who reflect and support the diverse perspectives, experiences and needs of our students and school communities. The Thames Valley District School Board seeks to ensure that all recruiting processes are non-discriminatory and barrier-free and will provide accommodations to applicants in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please inform the Human Resources team member indicated below of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you require.
E. Greenham, Acting Staffing Supervisor, Human Resources
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination requirement for all staff as directed by the Ministry. Individual accommodation requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
- Mandatory requirement to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) based on your role within TVDSB. This may include wearing a medical mask, eye protection and any other protective equipment as directed. Individual accommodation requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
- Mandatory adherence to all Health and Safety Protocols and Training as required and directed