This posting has expired and applications are no longer being received and this job does not show up on the main job list.
||Dec 16, 2019
Professor – Food Science, Innovation and Processing (THS 201900322)
School of Tourism, Hospitality and Culinary Arts
Faculty of Creative Industries
Employment Group: Faculty
Type of Position: Full-time
Hours of Work Per Week: 44
Closing Date: Internal Close – December 20, 2019
External Close – Open Until Filled
The School of Tourism, Hospitality and Culinary Arts and the Centre for Research and Innovation is looking for an applied research driven scientist with a wealth of experience in food science and food processing to help drive forward research in the CARIB laboratories and take on a vast array of food related research projects.
A full-time Professor at Fanshawe College is responsible for providing academic leadership and for developing an effective learning environment for students. The successful candidate in the short term, would teach in the Food and Nutrition Management and Artisanal Culinary Cuisine programs and in the long term, in the Food Innovation programs in the School of Tourism, Hospitality and Culinary Arts.
This position is expected to spend 75% of their workload conducting research with the Centre for Research and Innovation. Research will focus on product development and testing of food and beverage products, or waste streams from food and beverage products.
- Combination of excellent leadership and teaching skills with a strong commitment to academic excellence and student success
- Excellent communicator
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to relate effectively to a wide variety of learners
- Strong technical/computer skills and familiarity with educational technologies are required
- Teaching experience with hybrid and/or online delivery preferred
- Related industry work experience, previous college teaching experience and knowledge of curriculum design and student evaluations are assets
Approximate Start Date: February 3, 2020
Salary: Determination of starting salaries is based on relevant teaching/occupational experience and relevant formal qualifications, supported with original transcripts from granting institutions. The salary scale is $65,250 to $113,115 along with a comprehensive benefit package.
Partial load or full-time academic staff presently employed with the College will be given first consideration in accordance with the Academic Collective Agreement.
While transcripts are not required for the interview, they are mandatory prior to any offer of employment.
How to Apply:
For more information and how to apply, please visit the Fanshawe College website at: https://jobs.fanshawec.ca/applicants/jsp/shared/Welcome_css.jsp
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
Fanshawe College is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to equity, value diversity, and welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds.
Fanshawe College provides accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If a job applicant requires an accommodation during the application process or through the selection process, the hiring manager and the Recruitment Coordinator leading the recruitment will work with the applicant to meet the job applicant's accommodation needs.
- PhD in Analytical Chemistry, Biotechnology, Chemical Engineering, or a MSc in the previous areas of focus with industry driven research experience in a research laboratory
- Minimum 5 years experience in the food industry or having conducted research for the food industry is required
- An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered; preference will be given to applicants meeting the education requirements
- Must be able to perform bio extraction techniques (CO2 supercritical) on various food related materials
- Experience performing batch and continuous flow fermentation experiments
- Must have strong knowledge of ISO standards for food nutritional testing and food safety
- Ability to perform various analytical analyses on food products for nutritional testing using HPLC, pure chromatography or GC-MS is considered a significant asset
- Experience training students on the aforementioned instruments and theory is considered an asset
- Individual has great report writing skillsets and can provide plain language as well as technical summaries of work conducted
- Ability to publish peer-reviewed papers and experience with intellectual property will be considered an asset
- Experience conducting industry driven research with industry deliverables, timelines and processes is considered a must
- Experience working within Biosafety Level II labs is a requirement
- Experience with teaching in a post-secondary undergraduate and graduate level students in food chemistry, microbiology, research methods (confidence statistically methods) and design, food safety and certification/standards (e.g. HACCP)
- Experience supervising/training students in a laboratory environment on the instrumentation listed above