Job Posting: Academic Advisor
Department: Student Support Services
Reports to: Registrar
Employee Group: OPSEU
Salary Range: $55,152 - $68,941
Hours of Work: 8:30am – 4:00pm
Education: Undergraduate degree, Master’s preferred
Student Support Services is seeking an experienced, student-centered individual with exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated success in an advising role to join our team as an Academic Advisor. In this role, the incumbent provides academic advice to students registered in the programs offered by the Faculty of Arts and Social Science and the Bachelor of Theology at Huron.
Working in a student centered environment, the incumbent will maintain regular contact with academic departments to discuss program and course changes and be aware of general matters relating to academic program planning, academic program changes, and other matters relating to advising students. Acting as the liaison with Western, Brescia and Kings, the incumbent will maintain a working knowledge of programs and services available to Huron students.
The Academic Advisor is an integral part of the Student Support Services team by providing supports for students in the areas of student development, mental health and leadership at Huron.
- A minimum of two (2) years’ experience in student academic advising in a post-secondary or educational setting;
- Experience working with, and providing academic advising services to domestic and international students;
- Understanding of the major Arts and Social Science disciplines and Theology majors;
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of university academic rules and regulations the impact on students related to course and program registration;
- Knowledge of student and professional resources available to students both on and off campus;
- Excellent time management skills and a demonstrated ability to organize and prioritize multiple tasks and meet competing deadlines in a fast paced environment;
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and ability to interact positively and calmly with students, faculty and the general public in a variety of settings, including public presentations;
- Willingness to participate fully in a team environment;
- Demonstrated ability to problem solve effectively and use good judgement in all decisions;
- Energetic, organized, self-motivated, collaborative, adaptable, and flexible;
- Additional experience with online advising tools (i.e. online appointment booking, CRM case management) would be considered an asset.
Qualified candidates are encouraged to submit their application by Sunday, May 24, 2020 at 11:59pm
. Letters of application and a current resume, including three references (who will not be contacted without permission of the candidate), should be submitted in confidence to Huron:
1349 Western Road
London, ON, N6G 1H3
Huron values its place in an interconnected world and desires to reflect this value, acknowledging our responsibility to strive towards a diverse and equitable employment and educational environment that recognizes the inherent worth and dignity of every person. We encourage applications from qualified members of the four designated groups, and persons of any sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
Applications from all qualified individuals are invited; however, Canadian citizens and permanent residents will be given hiring priority. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected to proceed in the competition will be contacted. Should you require accommodation in making an application please contact Huron Human Resources by phone at 519-438-7224 or at the email address above.