Job Description –Business Development Manager
ACCOUNTABLE TO: CEO
The London Chamber of Commerce is focused on expanding our membership base and driving continued sustainable organizational growth. The Business Development Manager role will be responsible for promoting and supporting the membership sales, marketing, and initiatives. We are looking for a hard-working, passionate individual with an entrepreneurial spirit to help us build our relationships with new and current members.
In this position, the Business Development Manager is responsible for generating memberships, advertising and sponsorship sales. You will work with the Events and Meeting Center Coordinator to help develop the client base for the Chamber’s Professional Meeting Center. As part of a customer-focused group, you will be an advocate for our members and work as a liaison between the members and the Chamber. You will help shape our lead generation campaigns and product development roadmap. You will be a key member of a close-knit team that is responsible for driving new opportunities to meet our revenue and member growth targets.
Additionally, you will help make sure member-related events run smoothly and ensure people are in the right place at the right time.
ESSENTIAL AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
The Business Development Manager is a well-organized self-starter. By utilizing proven marketing, sales and customer service skills, the Business Development Manager will effectively serve and grow the membership base of the chamber while maintaining retention of current members. Compensation comprises a base salary plus commissions and bonuses.
Staff Liaison to Membership Services Committee
- Prospect, on-board and orient new members using proven sales and retention systems
- Meet the needs of potential and existing members through the provision of benefits and services
- Oversee and expand the Chamber’s membership services, affinity programs and member-to-member discounts
- Attend all member engagement events, including quarterly New Member Orientation and monthly Business After Five events
- Add member value by making connections among and on behalf of Chamber members
- Play an active role at Chamber events and positively represent the Chamber in the community
- Work closely with the Manager of Digital Media and Communications and the Events and Meeting Center Coordinator with marketing material and social media initiatives
- Contribute to a healthy team environment, conducive to high morale and satisfactory interaction between and among all chamber employees, volunteers, and members
- Participate in ongoing training and/or performance improvement plans as required
- Achieve 20% new member growth in 2022, and 95% existing member retention
- Other duties as assigned
The London Chamber of Commerce has a small staff and operates as a non-profit organization. The ideal candidate can multitask, wear multiple hats, and is a team player. The candidate will need to clearly articulate The London Chamber of Commerce vision, mission and purpose with authenticity, and work well in a dynamic environment (co-working space).
DESIRED SKILLS, ATTRIBUTES AND CHARACTERISTICS
- In charge of arranging the schedule for the year
- Maintains committee list with additions and deletions as well as succession planning of Committee Chair
- Degree or Diploma
- Be a natural connector
- Be comfortable speaking in front of large groups
- Proficient with CRM systems, Microsoft products and Adobe
- Be self-motivated and able to work with limited direction
- Be highly organized and demonstrate superior time management skills
- Be able to cope in high-pressure situations, handle changing priorities and strict deadlines
- Customer service skills – we are a membership association after all
- Possess excellent negotiation skills
- The ability to think on your feet, problem solve and maintain a positive attitude
- The ability to be precise and attentive to details
- Transportation/driver’s license