HSLM is a charitable organization whose mission is to lead London and Middlesex in building a humane and compassionate community for all animals. We improve the lives of animals in our community by providing shelter and appropriate new families.
Do you pride yourself on making a difference in the lives of others? Do you have a passion for animals? Humane Society London & Middlesex is a registered charity that is committed to protecting and caring for animals.
We are hiring for a Finance Manager who wants to work in a fast-paced, exciting, and growing organization. We need someone who is dynamic and a mission driven leader, with proven experience in financial management and organizational development. Reporting to the Executive Director the Finance Manager will provide leadership, strategic direction, and overall management of finance, and office administration.
This role requires a hands-on Manager with outstanding attention to detail, time management, and organizational skills. A high level of integrity and discretion in handling confidential information, and professionalism is imperative. A roll up your sleeves approach and great attitude is a must, as is the ability to be flexible and change direction at a moment’s notice. The ability to work successfully in a team environment and build effective working relationships inside and outside the group is essential. Someone seeking flexibility and autonomy will enjoy this role.
The ideal candidate will have experience managing people, developing and implementing financial controls and procedures, preparing accurate financial statements and reports, provide support to Managers as it pertains to their departmental budget(s), and act as the primary liaison with our banking partner and external auditors providing all supporting documentation as necessary.
- Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial controls and procedures.
- Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports to the Finance Committee, the Executive Director, and funders.
- Prepare annual budgets, cash flow projections, projections and forecasts, and provide support to team members managing budgets.
- Ensure timely preparation and submission of regulatory filings i.e. WSIB, HST, T3010, etc.
- Oversight of the administration of the shelter as it pertains to payroll, benefits, WSIB remittance, statutory requirements, and year-end filings.
- Conduct regular financial analysis to monitor operations, manage risk, and identify future opportunities.
- Lead effective organizational record-keeping and digital security.
- Develop, implement, and maintain organizational systems and processes, policies, and best practices to enhance organizational effectiveness and accountability.
- Manage the processing of invoices, expense claims, and accounts receivable.
- Oversight including equipment, fleet, and all governing agreements.
- Develop a risk management strategy and conduct regular risk analyses in collaboration with the Executive Director.
- Manage organizational contracts, including reviewing quotes and agreements with vendors and contractors.
- Support fund development, partnerships, and business development as required.
- Accounting designation (CPA) required.
- A degree in Business, Non-Profit Management, Finance, and/or equivalent experience.
- Knowledge of common accounting software, payroll software and Canadian GAAP standards.
- Expert level of efficiency with Google Suite and online software applications.
- Must be reliable and flexible; overtime as required.
- Experience with fundraising an asset.
- Clear Criminal Background Check.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills are required.
- Demonstrated written & oral communication/interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors and Finance Committee.
- Experience working with vendors.
- Demonstrated ability to work within a team environment.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
- Demonstrated diplomacy, tact and discretion.
- Flexible and adaptable approach to changing situations.
- A demonstrated compassion towards people as well as animals.
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups of people.
- 5 + years of management/leadership experience.
At HSLM we appreciate that experience comes in many forms. If your experience is similar to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
Our team members are important to us. In exchange for your talent and expertise, HSLM provides a competitive compensation package including paid training, HSLM branded clothes, health benefits, an employee assistance program, life insurance, opportunities for professional development, regular team building, the opportunity to walk a dog or play with a cat on your lunch break, and a fun, supportive environment.
Location: 624 Clarke Rd., London, Ontario
Terms of Employment: Salaried position working up to 44 hours per week
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary: Determined based on experience.
Humane Society London & Middlesex (HSLM) is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates.
HSLM is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes, and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise us in a timely fashion of any accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Given the volume of applications received, we will respond only to those candidates who are selected for interviews.
No drop-ins or phone calls please.
To apply for this position, please apply at https://www.hslm.ca/careers-culture/ before 12 p.m. on May 17, 2021.