At the Women’s Rural Resource Centre of Strathroy and Area (WRRC), we use a feminist, anti-oppressive, trauma and violence-informed framework to deliver prevention, education and crisis support services to women and their families who have been impacted by violence and abuse in rural Middlesex. Our services include a 24-hour helpline and emergency shelter, risk assessment and safety planning, advocacy, system navigation, individual and group healing opportunities, and community development.
We are currently recruiting for people who share our values to come work with us. Our core work is with women and families who have been hurt by violence and abuse; we believe violence is borne out of systemic beliefs that value one group of people over another based-on gender, sex, race, ethnicity, age or ability. The beliefs, attitudes and collective norms of a community underpin the presence of abuse; in this way, an entire community bears the wounds of violence. We come alongside one woman, one family at a time, to support healing, working towards restoring the broader health of our community. We have a vision for a vibrant connected community where women and children can thrive in healthy relationships.
We are looking for advocates to join our team who care about the same things. As a team, we aim to stretch, grow, challenge and champion each other, knowing we can only serve others well when we too are healthy and alive. If this stirs a fire in your belly, then consider joining our team!
WRRC is seeking one (1) strong woman-centered Women & Family Services Advocate
for days/evenings/nights/weekend part-time employment opportunities.
Reporting to the Residential Manager and working closely with the Women and Family Services Team, the Advocate is accountable to create a safe and supportive environment for women and families impacted by violence and abuse to seek help.
Using a feminist, trauma and violence-informed framework, the Advocate will work within shelter and in community to promote safety, provide advocacy, education, and resources to support a woman and her family navigating systems related to violence and abuse, homelessness, poverty, addiction and/or mental health.
At WRRC, we believe a woman is creative, resourceful, and whole; the Advocate will work with a woman to develop a care plan that is central to her experience at WRRC. The care plan is fluid and evolving, addressing her unique needs in crisis, prioritizing risk assessment and safety planning, progressing through her healing journey to support her growth and development towards a healthy and fulfilling life. As the lead on a care plan, the Advocate will enroll both WRRC team members and broader community services to support a woman as she takes up leadership in her own life.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- BSW or equivalent university education preferred, Social Service Worker Diploma or equivalent college education required.
- Fluency in other languages an asset
- Equivalent related experience preferred.
- Minimum 2 years counselling experience; counselling in the area of woman abuse preferred.
- The ability to make independent decisions based on experience and judgment; flexibility to work as a member of a team with minimal supervision.
- Employment experience with women and children in a shelter setting an asset.
- Personal Characteristics
- A solid understanding of feminism, the women’s movement, anti-racism/anti-oppression, and trauma informed practice.
- Demonstrated mentorship and leadership ability in a way supports the agency’s philosophy of leadership and growth of staff and program
- Excellent conflict resolution skills; ability to facilitate difficult conversations in a diplomatic manner.
- Demonstrated women’s advocacy skills, strong case planning skills and effective child/women-centered practice delivery.
- Superior communication, listening and assessment skills.
- Demonstrated organizational and multi-tasking skills, exceptional customer service skills
- Good working knowledge of computer office technology and applications
- Valid driver’s license; access to a reliable vehicle and proof of adequate insurance
- Clean driver’s abstract; Clear current Police Vulnerable Sector Check (PVSC)
- CPR, First Aid (ASIST, CPI an asset)
This position will require abailabilty for days/evening/nights/weekend shift coverage.
This position will require providing on-going emotional support and advocacy to women, youth and children who have experienced woman abuse in a secured residential setting.
Ability to lift 25 lbs.
Number of Openings: 1
Closing Date: Wednesday, July 6, 2022 @ noon (12:00pm).
Submit cover letter and resume via email to: WRRCApplications@wrrcsa.org
*No phone calls please. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.*
Please ensure Cover Letter & Resume are saved as ONE .pdf file, titled:
LAST NAME, First name – Position