ABOUT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Founded in 1993 by James Schmalz, Digital Extremes ranks as one of the world's top independent video game development studios. Originating with the co-creation of Epic Games' multi-million unit selling Unreal® franchise including Unreal and Unreal Tournament, Digital Extremes went on to develop Dark Sector®, BioShock® for the PlayStation®3, the BioShock 2 multiplayer campaign, and The Darkness® II. The studio has reached its greatest critical and commercial success with the free-to-play action game, Warframe®, boasting a global community of 50 million registered players on PC, PS4™, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch™. For more information about Digital Extremes, visit www.digitalextremes.com. To sign up for Warframe, visit www.warframe.com.
WHY WORK AT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Our culture is centered on providing great opportunities to our employees so that everyone feels they are making a meaningful impact. Developing new and existing talent is our long-term focus. We are honored that our work environment has been consistently recognized as one of “Canada’s Top 100 Employers”. We summon you to join our elite team!
The rewards of a career with Digital Extremes include:
- Competitive salary with bonus opportunities
- Excellent benefits and paid time off
- Matching RRSP plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Professional development and career support
- Fitness and parking/transit subsidies
- Daily lunches prepared onsite by our in-studio Executive Chef and professional kitchen staff
- All-day snacks and drinks, sleep pods, massage chairs, cold brew, dog therapy days and more
ABOUT THIS POSITION
Digital Extremes is currently seeking a Junior Lighting Artist to join our team. In this role, you will be working with the Creative Director, Art Directors and other Artists to create dynamic environment and cinematic lighting while maintaining a consistent style throughout the game. You have a solid grasp of both the art and technique of lighting and are knowledgeable in both the creative and technical/performance aspects required of a top-quality game. In addition, you possess an excellent understanding of Physically Based Rendering techniques and keep up to date with the changes in industry standards and best practices. You have a high-level understanding of colour theory and the use of light in telling a story. As an ideal candidate, you might also have experience with level population and world building, a strong traditional art background, and understand the impact of lighting on a final product.
- Work with art director and other artists to create compelling environment lighting while maintaining a consistent style throughout the game
- Create atmospheric lighting that communicates mood, storytelling and gameplay
- Create and manage the assets required in our post process pipeline, including colour volume textures, fog textures, HDR Skies, etc.
- Optimization of lighting to meet performance requirements while maintaining the established look and feel
- Adjust textures and objects as necessary for best lighting results • Collaborate with programming, art, and design teams to solve lighting challenges
- Provide feedback and insight in the development of lighting pipelines and tools
- 1+ years experience in game development lighting
- Excellent understanding of real-time and pre-rendered lighting techniques (including dynamic lights, global illumination, ambient occlusion, and pre-baked light map solutions)
- Excellent understanding of Physically Based Rendering standards and techniques.
- Excellent understanding of the impacts of lighting on a typical game level and the ability to demonstrate problem solving in this regard.
- A strong understanding of light, shadow, and colour, with the ability to use that understanding to create dynamic compositions.
- Demonstrated ability to work self-directed when necessary
- Proficient with Maya, 3ds Max (or at least one major 3D software package) & Photoshop
- Ability to meet tight deadlines in our fast-paced environment
- Aptitude for learning new software tools
- Possess exemplary oral and written communication skills
- A passion for games and the games industry
- Living in or willing to relocate to London, Ontario
Digital Extremes is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for the next steps in the hiring process will be contacted.
Please apply for this opportunity directly through our website: http://www.digitalextremes.com/careers/postings/art/junior-lighting-artist