||Feb 13, 2020
Considered Canada's most beautiful University, Western's main campus spans 400 acres of Gothic-style buildings mixed with modern LEED-certified capital structures providing an idyllic environment for our community of scholars. The university is located in London, Canada, a safe, vibrant and welcoming community of more than 350,000 people serving as a regional medical and industrial hub for southwestern Ontario.
The Department of Facilities Development & Engineering (FDE) assumes the key accountabilities in planning, development and construction of all buildings, infrastructure and sites.
Under the direction of the Director, Facilities Planning and Design, the Architectural Technologist is a technical resource that helps Facilities Management support the campus community by ensuring that Western’s facilities are designed appropriately. The incumbent will work closely with Facilities Development & Engineering and Facilities Operations, as well as various internal and external stakeholders, to prepare architectural drawings and documents for assigned renovation and alterations projects. The Architectural Technologist manages the storage and retrieval of the archived documents for all buildings, including construction drawings, specifications, operations & maintenance manuals and record drawings. In addition, the incumbent will develop and maintain up-to-date base floor plans for all University buildings. The incumbent will also coordinate various projects as directed.
- 3 year Community College Diploma in Architectural Technology
- Accredited member or eligible for membership in the Ontario Association for Applied Architectural Sciences (OAAAS) or the Association of Architectural Technologists of Ontario (AATO) is preferred
- 4 years' design experience
- Experience coordinating small to medium sized projects
- Experience in a large, complex, institutional environment is preferred
- Experience with Building Information Modeling implementation and execution plans is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of Ontario Building Code, designated substances and AODA standards, and other relevant guidelines and regulations to ensure consistency and high standards in architectural design
- Demonstrated knowledge of all aspects of architecture, including architectural design, building science, materials and method and other building services
- Professional manner, tact, diplomacy, sensitivity and discretion in dealing with various stakeholders and colleagues, including solid negotiation, facilitation and conflict resolution skills
- Sound judgment and decision making ability with a willingness to employ a consultative and collaborative approach to addressing issues and making decisions
- Critical thinking and discernment to assess and scope areas for improvement and an ability to offer creative solutions
- Organizational skills to manage multiple activities/projects that are accurate and thorough, sometimes of a complex nature
- Strong skills and proficiency in Autocad and Revit
- Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office
- Ability to establish effective routines for excellent communication with all members of the team to maximize productivity
- Strong customer service skills and ability to understand and translate customer needs and expectations and provide excellent customer service directly and indirectly to meet or exceed expectations
- Self-driven, independent thinker who is highly motivated and possesses an intrinsic passion for quality
- Ability to handle diverse situations, multiple and complex projects and rapidly changing priorities
- Demonstrated commitment to ongoing learning and professional development
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca to apply online to job reference #18589, by midnight on February 27, 2020.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.