Summary of Duties
Reporting to the Manager, Wastewater Treatment Operations, the Supervisor, Wastewater Treatment Maintenance supports the goals and objectives of the Division by providing technical and operational guidance to deliver efficient operations and maintenance of equipment and infrastructure within the pollution control plant and water distribution system. With a focus on high standards of work quality, and exceptional supervision of staff, the Supervisor, Wastewater Treatment Maintenance contributes to the development of a culture of inclusion and respect, innovation, commitment to health and safety, and effective collaboration with managers and staff across the Service Area.
- Accountable for the effective operation and adherence to the highest standards of safety at wastewater treatment plants, pumping stations, incinerator, and all associated infrastructure by ensuring that wastewater facilities can operate at optimum design capacity at all times.
- Provide leadership in the execution and delivery of services and programs in the following areas of accountability:
- Oversee maintenance and repairs to plants, pumping stations, solids disposal systems, water equipment, and Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) infrastructure to support divisional operations and infrastructure best practices.
- Ensure an account or inventory of essential materials at hand, parts and materials used, and ordering replacements from suppliers.
- Provide emergency response during off hours in regards to sewer problems, odour complaints, equipment and system failures and alarms.
- Ensure staff are supported, coached, and mentored to provide continuous, uninterrupted sanitary service to customers while mitigating the risk of damage to private property and the environment.
- Identify infrastructure improvements required to address existing system deficiencies in order to improve system operations.
- Develop contracts, supervise contractors to ensure their performance meets contract guidelines and that there is no interference with facility operations.
- Compile data and provide reports to various ministries and the Corporation.
- Maintain a comprehensive disaster plan, safety manual, standard operating procedures to ensure compliance with safe work procedures and ensure emergency preparedness to meet established service levels.
- Encourage and support employee participation and commitment to divisional and organizational objectives. Actively mentor, provide development opportunities and build team performance with direct reports.
- Demonstrate commitment to anti-racism, anti-oppression, and human rights through interactions with stakeholders, employees and individuals and promote programs and initiatives that reflect this commitment.
- Demonstrate commitment and adherence to Health and Safety legislation and programs; actively promote a culture of safety.
- Responsible for supervising employees including hiring, coaching, administration, training and performance aspects of reporting employees. Respond to and refer sensitive and confidential human resource issues as required.
- Track performance measures for Unit deliverables using appropriate data collection and analytics.
- Fairly and consistently administer provisions of various collective agreements.
- Build and encourage employee commitment to a high level of performance in all areas of customer service, employee safety and delivery of individual goals and objectives.
- Participate as directed on City of London and partner organization committees and teams.
- Develop and recommend budget and initiate actions to operate within fiscal plans. Monitor and report as required.
- Five to eight years or prior experience in related field as an industrial millwright or electrician or in servicing industrial machinery and equipment including team leadership or supervisory responsibilities.
- Completion of a Community College program and/or professional experience in a related field, such as: Mechanical Engineering Technician (Industrial Maintenance) program, a Certificate of Qualification as an Industrial Millwright; or Electrical Engineering Technician, a Certificate of Qualification as an Electrician.
- Must be able to wear a respirator and be fit tested in accordance with the CSA standard and maintain self-contained breathing apparatus and other safety equipment.
- Must possess valid Ontario Class G (minimum) Drivers Licence and be able to maintain same.
- Ability to work in the water and wastewater environment with exposure to treatment process chemicals, waste odours, and varying climatic conditions in which solid and liquid waste is processed.
- Ability to work at heights, and in confined spaces.
- Ability to follow established schedules of operation to ensure the efficient and safe operation of wastewater treatment plants, pumping stations and related equipment.
- Must be familiar with:
- various machine shop equipment including: drills, cutting and grinding equipment and a basic understanding of good shop practices, and/or
- electrical lockout procedures and be familiar with basic electrical circuits.
Specialized Training & Licenses
Skills and abilities in the following areas are necessary:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the above identified areas of accountability with an understanding of the Unit’s programs and services.
- Demonstrated success leading or supervising employees, contracted services and consultants.
- Proven commitment to the safety of employees with knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and applicable regulations as it relates to the position.
- Ability to understand the importance of service delivery; develop and implement initiatives that support the Unit’s customers in a timely and effective way.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal and customer services skills, including conflict resolution and problem solving; demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with diverse populations within the community; experience working collaboratively with organizations, clients, and other stake holders.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Strong verbal, written, interpersonal, communication, facilitation, and presentation skills; demonstrated political acumen.
- Ability to work varied hours to meet requirements of the position including on call and standby assignments. Shift work may be required.
- Ability to be available to respond to emergencies or other work situations beyond the regular working day, as required, often on short notice.
Compensation and Other Information
$84,889 to $110,855
Our hiring process is in accordance with the Mandatory Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Administrative Policy
As an inclusive employer, we are committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need.