Summary of Duties
Reporting to the Director, Housing Stability Services, the Manager, Housing Stability Services will guide and oversee the strategic policies, plans, project initiatives, and new community-based engagement activities to advance housing and social services in London and Middlesex.
- Contribute to the development and implementation of strategic initiatives for the Housing Stability Services to meet the organization’s strategic plan; Accountable for the effective delivery and the business responsibilities of the unit.
- Provide leadership for the planning, management, and administration for the Housing Stability Services team; recommend, develop and maintain comprehensive policies, programs, procedures and protocols that inform and support City services.
- Provide advice to the Director, Housing Stability Services on strategic priorities with responsibility to operationalize those goals and strategies.
- Provide professional opinion, and information to the Senior Leadership Team and Director, Housing Stability Services on policies, programs, and services as required.
- Contribute to the identification and development of internal controls in the form of policies, procedures, practices in relation to the general and specific risks of the Corporation; ensure internal controls are implemented and adhered to within the Housing Stability Services Team.
- Oversee a team of employees. Provide leadership in the execution and delivery of services and programs in the following areas of accountability:
- Facilitates the engagement of community members, organizations, networks, and partner agencies in developing community based and collaborative service strategies.
- Manages the development and strategic management of contracted service agreements with key community agencies, other sector lead individuals and organizations.
- Advances the strengths of community agencies, partners, and the community’s capacity to support the strategic directions of Council and the development and implementation of new creative and collaborative approaches and business solutions in the assigned areas of responsibility.
- Research and recommends the development of informed policies and plans based on best and promising practices from relevant sectors and jurisdictions.
- Oversees strategic projects, development of business contracts and service agreements and overseeing other special initiatives with a strong outcome and system focus and with sound decision making in project and contract service management.
- Encourage and support employee participation and commitment to divisional and organizational objectives. Actively mentor, provide development opportunities and build team performance with direct reports.
- Manages the Housing Stability Services team including hiring, administration and performance aspects of reporting staff. Respond to sensitive and confidential human resource issues as required.
- Liaise with respective unions on issues that affect bargaining unit members. Promote and foster constructive working relationships with employees and bargaining units and monitor collective agreement compliance.
- Build and encourage employee commitment to a high level of performance in all areas of customer service and delivery.
- Participate in and support a culture of enterprise-wide collaboration. Promote opportunities to work across Divisions and Service Areas in support of the strategic initiatives.
- Demonstrate commitment to supporting diversity, equity, inclusion and Human Rights through interactions with stakeholders, employees and individuals and ensure that policies, programs and protocols reflect this commitment.
- Demonstrate commitment and adherence to Health and Safety legislation and programs; and actively promote a culture of safety.
- Prepares reports for Council and various Committees as required.
- Identify, adapt and implement innovative and effective work practices and procedures to improve service delivery and the business responsibilities of the unit.
- Recommend and develop processes and tools needed to increase efficiencies and improve the effectiveness of services provided by the Housing Stability Services Division.
- Build capacity among staff for evidence-informed decisions supported through data collection and analytics.
- Adhere to the Procurement of Goods and Services Policy; includes the responsibility of delegation of procurement initiation approval authority and delegation of approval authority for professional consulting services as per policy amounts.
- Provide input to the development of the annual operation budget for the Housing Stability Services Office.
- Manages the budget for Housing Stability Services team, prepares associated documents (i.e., business plans, business cases and presentation documents) as required. Manage and promote stewardship of financial and organizational resources.
- Respond to inquiries from elected officials, media and the public.
- Represent the Division on the various boards and committees of external organizations, associations and government partners to promote the City of London as a leader, share best practices, build relationships, and recommend.
- Perform other duties as assigned which are directly related to the role.
- University Degree preferably at the Master’s level in Social Science, Social Work, Business or Public Administration or a measurable competency equivalence in related fields of study and levels of advancement.
- 5 to 7 years of progressive leadership, service and resource management in a large, multi-location organization.
- Demonstrated policy analysis, development, planning, and experience using innovation, best practices, and measured results in complex matters of community services.
- Sound knowledge of community development principles, strategic community-based project management, and multi-tasking skills.
- Expertise in applying business tools, budget, financial, and risk management, and measured results in social or human service delivery.
- Contract and partnership development and management experience.
- Knowledge in research of local environment needs, strengths, capacities, and opportunities in related services and sectors.
Specialized Training & Licenses
Skills and abilities in the following areas are necessary:
- Experience leading programs for and working with vulnerable individuals and families.
- Experience in strategic management, human resource management, stakeholder engagement and program and critical issues management.
- Valid Class G driver’s license and access to a vehicle with an ability to travel within the city and throughout Ontario as required.
- Experience in both lower and upper tier municipal operations and private industry a definite asset.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the above identified areas of accountability with an understanding of the area’s programs and services and how the work of the area aligns with the objectives of the Division.
- Demonstrated analytical and business planning skills with a proven track record for effectively implementing and monitoring programs and services.
- Demonstrated positive and proactive leadership capabilities, adept at leading a group of employees, contracted services and consultants; demonstrated commitment to developing high performance teams.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire the people they lead through productive and honest dialogue, with personal integrity and actions.
- Ability to be a trusted advisor and/or advocate in sensitive and/or emotionally charged situations.
- Demonstrated perseverance and resilience in addressing and escalating as required, challenges and emergent issues.
- Proven commitment to the safety of employees with knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and applicable regulations as it relates to the position.
- Ability to provide a high level of attention to detail, make sense of data and solve problems.
- Highly developed interpersonal and customer services skills, including conflict resolution and problem solving; demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with diverse populations within the community; experience working collaboratively with organizations, clients, and other stake holders.
- Ability to understand the importance of service delivery; implement initiatives that support the section’s customers in a timely and effective way.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office, and related software and database applications.
Compensation and Other Information
$92,111 to $125,069
This position is being filled on a temporary basis for up to 2 years.
As an inclusive employer, we are committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need.