Recreation Facilitator (Full Time)
: Recreation Facilitator, Permanent Full Time
: Alzheimer Society London & Middlesex (435 Windermere Road) with travel to locations around London and Middlesex County
: Full Time 35 hours/week
: Manager of Therapeutic and Social Recreation Services
You are an enthusiastic, highly organized people person with a passion for recreation and leisure and have experience working with an older adult population, specifically those living with dementia or cognitive impairment. You have a passion for helping others, and are a skilled communicator, and are equally comfortable working in a team as you are on an individual basis. You are flexible and agile, and able to problem solve through challenging situations and unexpected circumstances.
: Recreation Programs at the Alzheimer Society London and Middlesex (ASLM) are group-based recreation programs for clients living with dementia. Clients participating in recreation programs are typically in the early to mid-stages of the disease. The programs are designed to provide cognitive stimulation and social interaction for the person living with dementia. The group programming model is designed to create an opportunity to build a support network, get in touch with the community and ASLM resources.
The Recreation Facilitator will be responsible for planning, preparing, and facilitating ASLM’s program for persons living with dementia (PWD), which will include:
• Facilitating a variety of programming opportunities for PWD with support of volunteers
• Facilitate discussion groups for PWD
• Recreation during Care Partner Education and Support programs.
Reporting directly to the Manager of Therapeutic and Social Recreation Services, the Recreation Facilitator will plan and facilitate all aspects of these programs including pre-program planning, program facilitation, shopping for supplies, preparing and printing materials before their programs, and setup/clean-up of their program. The Recreation Facilitator will also supervise a team of volunteers as they assist with the delivery of the program. This includes communication of expectations for volunteers, feedback (both supportive and corrective) as appropriate to volunteers, and communication of any questions or concerns about volunteers to the Manager of Therapeutic and Social Recreation Services. The Recreation Facilitator will employ the tenets of therapeutic recreation to contribute to the establishment of a welcoming, inclusive, and enjoyable environment.
1. Therapeutic Recreation Degree and/or Recreation and Leisure Diploma with experience,
2. A minimum of two years of experience facilitating recreation group programs, comprised of diverse individuals with complex needs;
3. Experience working with older adults, those living with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias preferred;
4. Excellent observation skills and ability to assess behaviour changes over short (a few hours) and extended (over multiple weeks) periods of time;
5. Demonstrated leadership skills through professional or volunteer activities;
6. Experience working with volunteers an asset;
7. Ability to work independently to develop curriculum for the program;
8. Ability to work in a team environment.
9. Flexibility and adaptability in relation to program planning and delivery;
10. Ability to use discretion, and judgment in handling sensitive or confidential information or situations;
11. Valid First Aid and CPR certification required;
12. Valid Vulnerable Sector Police Check screening required;
13. Must have valid driver’s license and/or access to reliable transportation (London and Middlesex County) and to ASLM London office.
COVID-19 considerations: This job will require consistent wearing of proper PPE and completing education in proper Public Health guidelines surrounding PPE and Covid-19 protocols. This does not limit following sanitation protocols between client program times.
Application Process: Deadline – December 4, 2020
Interested applicants will submit a complete application package including cover letter, resume, and the name and contact information of three (3) recent work-related references. Please send the application package in .pdf format to: firstname.lastname@example.org (with the job title listed in the subject line).
As an inclusive employer, we are committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need.
All applicants will be screened based on receiving a complete application package and according to the qualifications listed in the posting. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.