Manager, Facility Services – Custodial Operations
An exciting career opportunity for an innovative, dynamic professional who is looking to join a progressive leadership team in Facility Services at the Thames Valley District School Board.
The Thames Valley District School Board is one of the largest boards of education in Ontario, serving an area that stretches more than 200 kilometres - from Rodney to Tavistock and Glencoe to Norwich - across more than 7,000 square kilometres. With more than 84,000 elementary and secondary students, supported by more than 12,000 staff, the Board is also one of the largest employers in southwestern Ontario. Thames Valley currently operates 131 elementary and 29 secondary schools, with an operating budget in excess of $1.1 Billion.
Thames Valley is seeking an innovative and dynamic individual to join a progressive leadership team. The Manager of Facility Services - Custodial Operations will ensure that students and staff have great places to learn and work. This individual must have the technical skills required to manage a large portfolio. The ideal candidate will be an expert in customer service and communication, with a demonstrated commitment to public education.
The Manager, Facility Services - Custodial Operations provides strategic direction and leadership to a comprehensive Facility Services team with responsibility for creating positive working conditions and culture for all staff, the implementation of an effective and comprehensive custodial services program, ensuring the Board’s physical assets are safe, clean, and well maintained. The role is also accountable for the board’s warehouse and distribution services. This position works collaboratively with all units within the board to provide high quality, fully functional environments that are conducive to meeting the needs of students, staff, and the public in alignment with board’s strategic and operational priorities.
- Ensures the effective 24/7 operation of facility services for the comfort of employees, students and visitors in compliance with all relevant laws, regulations, policies, and procedures by maintaining flexibility and responsiveness for all operations and services to protect against injury, facility damage, and school day losses.
- Plans and develops strategies, goals and priorities for the cleaning and operation of the school board’s physical assets, ensuring alignment with Board’s priorities; monitors changing priorities, trends and emerging issues; identifies areas of potential impact to strategic plans, operations and delivery of services and provides recommendations on addressing issues.
- Manages talent and financial resources to ensure they are being used effectively, including:
- Preparation and monitoring of budgets for the team and related programs
- Management of direct reports by assigning work, setting schedules, resolving problems, and identifying appropriate individual goals aligned with individual capabilities and work requirements aligning with the Board’s strategic priorities. This is accomplished through ongoing performance appraisals and feedback.
- Designs, establishes, and maintains staffing and an organizational structure to effectively accomplish the departmental function utilizing metrics to ensure the organization is operating efficiently, servicing client needs within budget and effecting changes required for improvement
- Collaborates with other Board departments on the requirements and the implementation of supervisory development, skills training, and safety and labor relations programs
- Fosters, maintains, and negotiates constructive relationships with union officials and staff through consistent application of relevant policies, collective agreements and employment legislation
- Collaborates with Finance/Procurement for procurement activities associated with custodial supplies and services including the development and enhancement of contracts, request for proposals (RFPs), and tender documents for custodial related work to acquire professional services and materials. This includes adhering to Broader Public Sector (BPS) compliance, reviewing pricing once received by Finance and authorizing purchase orders in the department, ensuring proper administration of contracts.
- Researches and provides analysis to senior administration regarding legislation and internal and external benchmarking of cleaning and building maintenance programs.
Salary Range: $131,243 – $143,180
Application Deadline: Sunday, October 15, 2023
Please use the "APPLY FOR THIS POSITION" link below to submit your electronic application. Only applications submitted using this link will be considered.
The Thames Valley District School Board is committed to equity and inclusion in the recruitment of qualified staff who reflect and support the diverse perspectives, experiences and needs of our students and school communities. The Thames Valley District School Board seeks to ensure that all recruiting processes are non-discriminatory and barrier-free and will provide accommodations to applicants in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please inform the Human Resources team member indicated below of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you require.
- 3-year degree or diploma program in engineering technology, building operations or other relevant area.
- 7 years of progressive leadership experience in the management of custodial or facility operations including responsibility for supervising staff or leading work teams in a unionized environment. Preference given to experience with an education setting.
- Demonstrated ability to coach and mentor leaders and create an excellent working environment.
- Demonstrated management ability in self and team organization, communication, and writing skills that assist and enable team members to achieve high-quality outcomes.
- Demonstrated experience in a continuous improvement environment and adapting to changes in a fluid work setting to develop and deploy best practices, policies, and procedures.
- Demonstrated understanding of customer needs to ensure good communications with both internal and external customers.
- Experience in contract management/negotiation of technical and service contracts
- Knowledge of applicable regulations and legislation (i.e., Building Codes, Occupational Health and Safety Act, etc.).
- Computer literacy (Microsoft Suite, other specialized applications).
S. Patrick, Acting Staffing Specialist, Human Resources
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.