Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 15
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Western Communications staff seek to enhance, promote and protect the reputation of the university.
The Content Writer supports Western Communications and University Advancement in the creation of a full range of marketing and communications materials for a variety of fundraising activities, campaigns and projects. The role will develop, write and produce communication products that share Western’s story, highlighting the University’s priorities, successes, and philanthropic news. All aspects of donor communications will be delivered in support of faculty-specific and university-wide fundraising campaigns and initiatives.
- Undergraduate Degree with a major in marketing, communications, journalism or public relations or related program
- Master’s degree in the above fields is preferred
- 5 years’ experience in advancement communications, with responsibility for supporting alumni relations and development projects at various fundraising levels
- 5 years’ experience managing projects that demonstrate effective writing, marketing and communications planning, and content creation
- Experience working in alumni relations and/or development and fundraising communications for a post-secondary institution, non-profit, government organization or other large, multi-department organization is preferred
- Specific experience working in Annual, Leadership & Legacy giving would be an asset
- Experience in Luminate and InDesign preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- In-depth knowledge of principles of writing, including grammar and style, argument, and coherence
- In-depth knowledge of marketing best practices, processes, trends, and tools
- Proven skills and abilities working in alumni relations and development and fundraising communications (i.e., strategy development, project management, writing, interviewing, etc.)
- Strong interviewing skills to help formulate the ideas to create compelling narratives
- Ability to ask questions and challenge appropriately when clarity is required for the proposed direction/strategy of the project
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills with proven ability to present, write, edit and organize thoughts in a clear, concise, and well-organized manner
- Ability to repackage content from existing written and digital materials aimed at educating and informing donors about transformational giving opportunities at Western
- Demonstrated ability to write, edit and execute communication and donor impact materials that are aligned with goals and objectives
- Superior story telling and inspirational writing abilities
- Ability to write in both marketing and journalistic styles, and to synthesize a wide range of complicated subject matter in compelling ways to help educate, inform and inspire target audiences
- Strong project management skills with an ability to prioritize work, successfully carry out and track multiple projects and meet deadlines in a time-constrained environment
- Ability to produce high quality work while determining own priorities and defining realistic objectives and timeframes
- Intermediate Computer skills in Microsoft office, and relevant communications and marketing software to achieve outcomes (e.g. Luminate and InDesign)
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build positive and strong relationships at all levels of the organization
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca
for further information and to apply online referencing job #27219 by 11:59PM on July 6, 2022.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.