||Sep 10, 2021
||High School Diploma
Considered Canada's most beautiful University, Western's main campus spans 400 acres of Gothic-style buildings mixed with modern LEED-certified capital structures providing an idyllic environment for our community of scholars. The university is located in London, Canada, a safe, vibrant and welcoming community of more than 350,000 people serving as a regional medical and industrial hub for southwestern Ontario.
Facilities Management is responsible for the planning, development, construction, operation, maintenance and stewardship of all the buildings, infrastructure, sites and services within Western’s campus community.
The Welder A will perform skilled welding work in the fabrication, installation and repair of metal products through the use of welding apparatus and mechanical means and other related processes.
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent
- Completion of an Ontario College of Trades Welder Program (or Provincial/Territorial equivalent with Red Seal Endorsement (RSE)) or completion of an in-school program from an accredited Ontario welding training provider
Professional Qualifications and Licenses:
- Certified and registered Welder as recognized by Ontario College of Trades (or Provincial/Territorial equivalent with Red Seal Endorsement (RSE); OR Completion of a Structural Welding Certificate as recognized by the Canadian Welding Bureau; OR Completion of a Pressure Welding Certificate as recognized by the Technical Standards & Safe ty Authority
- Maintain a valid Ontario Drivers’ License
- Maintain a current First Aid Certificate inc luding CPR where required
- 5 years' construction and/or maintenance experience working as a Welder in a large commercial, industrial or institutional setting
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions applicable to the welding trade
- In-depth understanding of tools, equipment, principles, materials, and terminology associated with the welding trade
- Basic understanding of other positions within Facilities Management with which you interact
- Comprehensive knowledge in the current versions of all applicable legislation, regulations, codes and standards
- Comprehensive knowledge of the welding qualities and properties of a variety of metals (ferrous and nonferrous)
- Ability to investigate, identify, analyze and document information in written or electronic form and resolve problems
- Ability to meet physical demands of the role including to lift and transport materials, bend, excavate, climb and reach repetitively
- Ability to work well in a team environment as well as autonomously with minimal supervision, and perform tasks in emergency situations
- Ability to work in confined spaces or in areas containing designated substances found within OH&S Act as required
- Ability to interpret and work from electronic/written operation instruction sheets as well as mechanical, electrical and geographical drawings/maps and produce quick-sketch working diagrams
- Comprehensive electronic, oral and written communication skills with ability to listen fully and respond courteously to instructions, questions and comments
- Dependable and co-operative disposition with ability to establish a rapport with customers, leaders and peers
- Ability to interact with others in positive ways which develop mutual understanding, respect and productive relationships
- Organizational skills, with ability to order work materials, tools, and support staff in the shop and on the job site
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca to apply online to job reference #23875 by midnight on September 21, 2021.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.