Summary of Duties
Reporting to the Director, Water, Wastewater and Stormwater, the Division Manager IV, Sewer Engineering provides leadership for all engineering matters related to the City of London’s sanitary, combined, and storm sewer collection systems, including the supervision and development of Division personnel.
- Plans, organizes, directs and controls functions of the Sewer Engineering Division. Contributes to strategic planning for the Division and Service Area. Promotes a culture of innovation and continuous improvement and achieves improvement through innovative solutions or approaches.
- Leads the development of the wastewater conveyance system master plan for long term growth as part of the Development Charges Background Study process.
- Develops, coordinates and administers operating and capital budgets for the work related to the Division’s operations.
- Directs the preparation of reports, makes recommendations, acts as a source of design expertise and attends various Committees of Council, departmental and interdepartmental design reviews.
- Manages and reviews staff performance of Division personnel, makes recommendations to the Director concerning salary adjustments, staff training, hiring, promotion, demotion and discipline of staff.
- Manages and supervises assigned personnel and responsible for employee development, promotion, and conduct matters.
- Actively leads and develops a positive and inclusive workforce, ensuring effective collaboration, high standards of work quality, organizational performance, and employee development.
- Ensures that Division employees perform work in accordance with applicable Provincial and Federal legislation, health and safety legislation, and all City of London Corporate and departmental policies and procedures.
- Advises on matters related to rapid sewage treatment, combined, sanitary and storm sewer collection systems, surface water health, and administers related inspection, design and construction programs.
- Provides advice and senior level consultation to various Service Areas and Divisions (Finance, Planning, and Development Approvals).
- Provides Service Area-wide advice as a subject matter expert in the Municipal Class Environmental Assessment process.
- Leads basement flooding solutions related programs and leads post large-scale basement flooding media, public, and Council response.
- Leads the service area response on contentious sewer collection related development issues.
- Provides Division related information to requests through the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA).
- Directs and oversees engineering consultant performance during all phases of project administration relating to inspections, system improvement studies and capital project initiatives.
- Represents Environment and Infrastructure as required during emergency training exercises and during emergency activation of the Emergency Operations Centre.
- Liaises, coordinates and provides guidance to the development industry regarding sewer engineering in compliance with Corporate standards.
- Reviews and recommends revisions to by-laws, policies and procedures pertaining to the Division’s affairs.
- Provides media support through television and radio interviews.
- Addresses questions and provides responses to members of the public and politicians.
- Oversees the development and approval of technical specifications; review and recommend capital programs; approve tenders/quotations/proposals related to capital programs.
- Co-ordinates investigations to claims, provides evidence at hearings, and appears in court as an expert witness as necessary.
- Ensures adherence with all federal, provincial, and municipal regulations and bylaws.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Civil, Environmental, or Water Resources Engineering. Registered Professional Engineer, Province of Ontario.
- Minimum of 10 years of previous related experience involving combined sewer, storm sewer, sanitary sewer and storm water management and rapid sewage treatment. Knowledge of wastewater treatment and stormwater treatment planning, design, and construction an asset.
- Demonstrated successful experience in a leadership role supervising employees.
Skills and abilities in the following areas are necessary:
- Demonstrated achievement in successfully delivering completed multi-faceted, large-scale projects with active adherence to budgets and timelines, demonstrated excellence in engineering and action/outcome orientation.
- Thorough knowledge of all Federal, Provincial, and Municipal regulations and standards related to the areas of responsibility including the Municipal Act, Environmental Assessments Act, Planning Act; Construction Lien Act; City policies and by-laws.
- Focused analytical and strategic thinking and issue resolution skills, combined with a commitment to innovation and collaboration.
- Leadership and human relations skills in order to direct, develop, motivate, and support personnel and hold personnel accountable to goals and objectives.
- Outstanding interpersonal, communication, leadership and presentation skills.
- Excellent problem solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge of the Health and Safety Act and applicable regulations as it relates to the position.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively utilize a broad-cross section of communication, project management and engineering software packages.
- Ability to support and project values compatible with the organization.
- Class G Driver’s Licence and ability to travel to various locations.
Compensation and Other Information
$125,678 to $165,141
Our hiring process is in accordance with the Mandatory Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Administrative Policy
As an inclusive employer, we are committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need.