Humana Community Services is a registered charity, accredited by the Canadian Centre for Accreditation. Through a recent unification process, Anago (Non) Residential Resources Inc. and WAYS Mental Health Support have come together to combine over 100 years of history delivering high-quality services and support for children, youth and adults with specialized needs, and their families/caregivers. Collectively, we are known for providing crisis support; personalized mental health services; supports for community participation and transition to independent living, and safe, therapeutic, educational environments where at-risk children, youth, and
vulnerable adults are able to connect, grow and thrive.
Humana Community Services is currently seeking applicants to join our direct support team as a Temporary Part-Time Classroom Support Worker
. The successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining a healthy, therapeutic atmosphere in accordance with the treatment philosophy of the agency. The successful candidate will also be responsible for providing support to young persons in a Children’s Mental Health residential setting, focusing on the educational needs of the students at the on-site Section 23 School Requirements Service. The position is based in the classroom during school hours and is responsible for assisting schoolteachers in all aspects of the student’s education, including but not limited to consistent student supervision, support with schoolwork, and recognizing and intervening effectively with respect to behaviours. A strong focus on the educational needs of students at the on-site Section 23 School; although may be assigned to any or all of the duties of a Direct Care Worker.
- Completion of related post-secondary education (Social Work, SSW, CYC, EA or equivalent)
- Minimum one (1) year of related experience preferred
- Act as an advocate for the students and participate in team meetings in regards to individual student progress, needs and supports
- Maintain open communication between school personnel and residential treatment staff members
- Assist the teacher in supervision of individuals and/or small groups of students in school and during educational outings
- Develop and maintain therapeutic relationships and attends to the ethnic, cultural, religious, sexual orientation, health and special needs of young persons
- Proactively monitor and engages young person(s), ensuring residential stability and safety within the program
- Provide appropriate therapeutic responses to the emotional, behavioural and physical needs of the young person utilizing Cognitive Behavioural Interventions
- Facilitate daily routines and recreational programming
- Bilingualism is considered an asset
- Valid Ontario G Driver’s License
- Satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check
- Current immunizations and physical health assessment
- Current Standard First Aid & CPR level C
- De-escalation and restraint certification; Crisis Management Training; SMG
- Starting wage: $20.84/hr
- Contract ending June 30, 2023
- Location: London, ON
- Skills training available to meet mandatory training requirements
Please apply with detailed resume and cover letter, referencing job number 830-081522-057
by Monday, August 29th, 2022
Humana Community Services - Employment
371 Princess Ave
London ON N6B 2A7
Employees represented by Local 166 will be given first consideration for this position.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Humana Community
Services values diversity as an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified candidates.
If you require accommodation at any stage of the application process, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 519.435.1099 x1106.