Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 14
Western University delivers an academic experience second to none. Western challenges the best and brightest faculty, staff and students to commit to the highest global standards. Our research excellence expands knowledge and drives discovery with real-world application. Western attracts individuals with a broad worldview, seeking to study, influence and lead in the international community. Since 1878, The Western Experience has combined academic excellence with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social and cultural growth in order to better serve our communities.
Student Experience fosters equitable learning environments in which all students can thrive to their full potential. Through our commitment to integrating research, theory, and practice across all of the programs, resources, and supports we provide, Student Experience leads an ecosystem of people, places, and spaces that empower student thriving. Our vision is for all Mustangs to discover their personalized pathway through Western’s rich, wholistic learning environment; engage in brave conversations with our diverse community on and off campus, and develop the courage to be uncomfortable without fear of failure in order to thrive throughout their degree and after graduation.
At Western, the Student Experience portfolio provides the programmes and supports that inspire Western Students to discover themselves; engage with their communities and thrive as learners. Professional and student staff working across these pillars collaborate with student organizations and academic and administrative leaders throughout campus to foster inclusive learning environments that maximize the potential of each student. Careers & Experience helps students deepen their academic learning and actively plan for personal and professional growth through career education, experiential learning, and industry exploration. We foster an environment in which students are able to discover their potential and design their future
The Career Coach will help Western students connect their academic learning to career paths and future goals in support of the University’s mission to build an equitable and thriving campus. The Career Coach, Undergraduate Students is responsible for delivering career development programming that meets the needs of undergraduate students, across all Faculties, and supports them to navigate their career life plans. This role assists undergraduate students with preparing for work integrated learning (WIL) opportunities, job applications and interviews, and career planning and exploration.
- Undergraduate Degree
- Career Development Practitioner Certification completed, or in progress is preferred
- Coaching Certification completed, or in progress is preferred
- Master’s Degree in Education or related field preferred
- 3 years experience utilizing active listening and using coaching/advising skills (preferably in a professional development or career development context)
- 2 years of experience in Student Affairs in a higher education setting preferred
- Demonstrated use of an inclusive design framework to apply an EDI lens in career program development is preferred
- Demonstrated use of Life Design, Strengths-based, and/or Personal Branding methodologies and concepts within advising/coaching experiences is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of career development theories, Life Design Framework, Strengths Analysis/Assessments, Personal Branding concepts, labour market trends, and job search skills
- Expertise in creating safe spaces for trusting/helping conversations
- Ability to avoid sharing “expert” advice and, instead, focus on supporting people in their own learning and reflection
- Experience facilitating reflection and learning within group settings; interest in pedagogy, group learning theories, and activity-based learning
- Established ability to develop engaging and tailored curricula, group programming and digital resources, particularly for equity-deserving groups
- Proven ability to take initiative and facilitate consultative and collaborative discussions with key stakeholders
- Non-judgmental, empathetic and creative approach to working through challenges
- Commitment to deepening coaching and professional skills through individual reflective practice and on- going professional development
- Appreciation of the purpose and value of quality work integrated learning in preparing students for future work and life
- Ability to manage own schedule and balance competing priorities in a fast-paced work environment
- Understanding of professional scope and able to make appropriate referrals to community, institutional, and student-led services, considering potential barriers to access individuals might face
- Awareness of own social location and how it affects the power and privilege in coaching relationships
- Ability to maintain working knowledge of relevant technology, including facilitation tools (e.g., polling platforms), and social media/online platforms (e.g. LinkedIn)
- Intermediate Skills with Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Teams, Google Docs, and other online productivity tools (e.g., for webinars and one-on-one online engagement)
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit https://recruit.uwo.ca
for further information and to apply online referencing job #33243 by midnight on December 20th 2023
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.