This posting has expired and applications are no longer being received and this job does not show up on the main job list.
||Feb 09, 2021
The Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc – Full-Time Job Opportunity
Director of Fire Services / Fire Chief
The Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc is looking for someone who shares our values of teamwork, respect, honesty and commitment. You will be joining a team of dedicated, professional and committed co-workers, willing to go the extra mile to serve residents and ratepayers. Our mission is to lead and serve our communities by pursuing opportunities, leveraging partnerships and managing our resources to achieve growth. The bar is set high, but we strive to reach it together.
If you are looking for an opportunity to learn and grow and promote positive change in a friendly, safe environment, we’d love to hear from you!
Strathroy-Caradoc… Urban Opportunity, Rural Hospitality.
The Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc’s Fire Services department is currently accepting applications for one (1) full-time permanent “Director of Fire Services / Fire Chief.”
The Director of Fire Services / Fire Chief is responsible for the overall operation of the fire department including firefighting, fire prevention, investigations, hazardous materials incidents, auto extraction incidents, rescue, all life and property saving functions in which the department may be involved, purchasing, maintenance, and budgeting. The Director/Fire Chief fulfills the role of Community Emergency Management Coordinator (CEMC) and coordinates all Municipal departments, Municipal operations and all other agencies required to assist in the event of an emergency.
The Director of Fire Services/Fire Chief’s role is administrative in nature and involves the responsibility for the planning, coordinating, operating and efficiency of the fire department as well as maintaining necessary regulatory compliance and reporting. The work is performed under the general direction of the Chief Administrative Officer. This position allows considerable exercise of independent judgement in accordance with established business plans.
As a member of the Municipal team, each employee is responsible for serving the citizens of Strathroy-Caradoc by meeting the ratepayers’ needs and expectations, as articulated by Council, by striving to be the best in everything we do through attitude, training and creativity, and for representing the Municipality as a strong, integrated organization dedicated to quality, sustainable and viable services.
- Minimum 10 years’ experience within a Fire Service with five (5) years of experience as a Deputy Chief or Senior Officer and demonstrated progressive experience in a Supervisory capacity
- Completion of post-secondary education in Fire Services Management, Public Administration, or a related field
- Completion of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) 1021 Fire Officer III or Graduate of the Ontario Fire College Company Officer Program or equivalent combination of related education and experience
- NFPA 1031 Level I Fire Inspection certification required
- NFPA 1021 Level IV, 1031 Level II considered an asset
The above noted certifications should be obtained within twelve (12) months from the date of hire or a date which is mutually agreeable based on availability of the certification requirements
- Willingness to obtain the following:
- NFPA 1033 Fire Investigator
- NFPA 1041 Level II Fire Instructor
- NFPA 1521 Incident Safety Officer
- JHSC Certified – Sector specific
- Certification as Community Emergency Management Coordinator (CEMC)
- EM 200 - Basic Emergency Management
- EM 200 - Basic Incident Management
- IMS 100 - Incident Management System
- EM 240 - Note taking
- Proven capability to provide Incident Command at a large scale incident.
- Thorough working knowledge of laws, legislation, acts, regulations and directives as these pertain and apply to the fire service including the Fire Protection and Prevention Act, the Ontario Building Code, the Highway Traffic Act, and the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
- Must possess excellent strategic planning, performance management, problem solving, and decision making as well as strong leadership skills.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships within and outside of the organization and department; including communicating effectively, maintaining good working relationships with elected and appointed officials; representatives of local industries and members of the public; community groups and other levels of government.
- Sound knowledge and understanding of the principles and best practices of fire services.
- Sound understanding of special operations including technical rescues and hazardous material incidents.
- Proven ability to provide effective command over firefighting personnel and a thorough understanding of the incident management system and chain of command principles obtained through training and experience.
- Good physical condition as work can be strenuous and in harsh weather conditions for long durations.
- Strong mental resilience and good coping skills are an asset when dealing with traumatic calls involving human life.
- Proven superior leadership, organizational, interpersonal relations, oral and written communication skills.
- Computer literacy utilizing the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Must train and expand education / knowledge regularly to maintain certification in a wide variety of firefighting and rescue skills.
- Must attend formal educational schools, colleges, seminars and conferences to maintain professional administration and leadership skills.
- Valid DZ driver’s licence with a satisfactory driver’s abstract.
- A satisfactory Vulnerable Sector Check prior to starting employment.
To view full job description please visit www.strathroy-caradoc.ca
Wage: Band 9 - $104,265.56 - $130,331.95
Benefits: Comprehensive benefits package and participation in the OMERS pension plan
Qualified candidates are invited to e-mail their cover letter and resume by 4:30pm Monday, February 22, 2021 to:
We thank all applicants but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Personal information is collected in accordance with the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used only for employment purposes. The Municipality of Strathroy-Caradoc is an equal opportunity employer. Accommodations are available for all parts of the recruitment process. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance.
Date Posted: February 9, 2021