||Sep 16, 2023
Stoney Creek is currently prioritizing applicants who fit any of the following availabilities - if your availability matches any of the below, please specify in your cover letter:
• Sunday afternoon and/or Monday evening Swim Instructors (current LSS Swim Instructor certification required)
• Thursday morning lifeguards (must be available to work 9am to 1pm until December)
• Relief/Coverage guards and swim instructors – must have weeknight and weekend availability to pick up shifts - current highest need is Thursdays
• Relief/Coverage daytime guards – must have daytime availability on weekdays between 6am and 4pm to pick up shifts
All other applications will be considered for the Winter 2024 session - approximate start date late November/early December 2023.
Join the Y Aquatics Team!
Be the Spark! Join our passionate team and be the spark that ignites the potential in others. YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is one of the largest not-for-profit providers of licensed child care in Canada, offers settlement services to newcomers to Canada, operates 2 overnight camps and 16 Health & Fitness branches across Southwestern Ontario, and we have been making a positive difference in the communities we serve for over 50 years!
Why The Y?
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to the development of healthy communities and welcomes people of all backgrounds, beliefs, and abilities. We are committed to helping our employees reach their full potential and are recognized by Forbes as one of Canada’s Top Employers. We offer meaningful employment and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and families.
Position: Lifeguard & Swim Instructor
Start Date: to be determined based on current branch needs
Salary: starting at $15.50/hourly
Schedule: Hours are flexible and dependent on the branch's current needs and your availability. A commitment of at least 2 shifts per week is required.
As part of your total compensation, you will receive:
• A complimentary YMCA Everything Membership to our Health & Fitness facilities, and discounts on YMCA child care and camp programs
• Vacation entitlement in accordance with the employment standards regulations
• May be entitled to up to 12 paid personal days – applicable with position and contract length
• Benefits package - applicable with position and contract length
• Be part of a caring and supportive network of people to help each other succeed
• Complimentary access to wellness and counselling services
In this role, you will:
• Act as a YMCA ambassador, demonstrating the YMCA core values of Respect, Honesty, Inclusivity, Caring, and Responsibility in your daily work.
• Be responsible for lifeguard duties as trained during all programming within the Aquatics environment, such as recreational swims, swim lessons, aqua fitness, and swim lessons.
• Actively monitor all participants in all aquatics programming and be ready to assist participants in case of emergency.
• Be ready to enter the pool at any time to assist members/program participants.
• Be responsible for competent swim instruction of individual and group swimming lessons. You may also be required to assist with volunteer development in a co-teaching situation.
• Record lesson participants’ progress and prepare progress reports to share with guardians.
• Attend and participate in lifeguard and swim instructor training as per schedule.
• You will spend 95% of your work time in the pool or on the pool deck/waterfront in moist, humid climate conditions.
• You will need to be able to manage varying amounts of weight to assist members/program participants in the water in case of emergency and to lift/use chemicals.
• Ensure all YMCA of Southwestern Ontario policies and procedures are being followed.
• Be committed to diversity, equity, inclusion and building a sense of belonging.
Educations and Skills Qualifications:
• Required Certifications (must be current):
? Lifesaving Society National Lifeguard - Pool
? Standard First Aid and CPR-C (from Lifesaving Society or LSS-approved provider)
? Lifesaving Society Swim Instructor or YMCA Swim Instructor
• Lifesaving Society Lifesaving Instructor and Emergency First Aid Instructor certifications are an asset.
• Previous lifeguard or swim instructor experience is an asset.
• Previous volunteer experience within Aquatics is an asset.
• Experience working with children, youth, and adults is an asset.
• Exceptional communication skills, relationship-building skills, and organizational skills.
• A current and acceptable Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening is a condition of employment for all staff and volunteers age 18 and older.
• Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations.
Application Contact Information