Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 13
Please note, this is a wholly grant funded, 2 year temporary full time contract opportunity.
Secondments are Welcome
Click here for more details on secondment opportunities.
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Western ranks as one of Canada’s top research-intensive universities. From fundamental to applied discovery, its researchers advance knowledge that provides tangible benefits for the economic, social, health and cultural development of citizens in London, in Canada and around the world. While the University has achieved acclaim for research in a full complement of disciplines, it has identified signature areas in which global-scale clusters of research excellence have been established, including Neuroscience/Brain & Mind.
The Administrative Officer will ensure the efficient coordination of administrative operations for BrainsCAN and the Rodent Cognition Research and Innovation Core (RoCRIC). The role will provide guidance and support for a wide range of administrative, human resources, and financial functions and processes, and ensure they are carried out in compliance with all of Western's relevant administrative policies and procedures. The Administrative Officer will advise the Executive Director in the resolution of administrative issues and monitor and manage physical and financial resources and supplies. The role will also provide project support, participate in relevant committees, and ensure the availability of necessary documentation, resources and information.
- University degree, in Business Management/Administration
- Completion of or working towards Canadian Institute of Management Designation is preferred
- 3 years’ administrative experience supporting human resources and financial management in a complex research or academic office environment
- Experience managing and overseeing staff and projects is preferred
- Experience working with PeopleSoft Financials would be an asset
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of general office procedures, financial budgeting and principles and Human Resources principles and practices
- Ability to ensure expenditures and resources are within allotments, and to make appropriate modifications when required
- Verbal communication skills to translate information into easily understood terms, summarize information, and provide a rationale for action
- Communication skills with an ability to complete detailed analytics and reports
- Ability to work in a manner that models best practices in confidentiality standards
- Ability and willingness to employ a consultative and collaborative approach to addressing issues and making decisions
- Customer service skills to understand customer needs and expectations, with a desire to deliver helpful and reliable service to the University community
- Detail-oriented with an ability to function and process information with high levels of accuracy
- Commitment to ongoing professional development with a desire to take on new challenges
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, meet tight deadlines and adapt to changing priorities
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and PeopleSoft systems (HR, Financials, query)
- Organizational skills to manage multiple assignments that are accurate and thorough, sometimes of a complex nature or involving competing priorities
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Interested applicants are asked to visit https://recruit.uwo.ca
for further information and to apply online referencing job #33090 by midnight on November 22nd 2023.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.