HSLM is a charitable organization whose mission is to lead London and Middlesex in building a humane and compassionate community for all animals. We improve the lives of animals in our community by providing shelter and appropriate new families.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Director of Operations is a key member of Humane Society London & Middlesex (HSLM) providing leadership to the shelter staff. The Director of Operations oversees the daily operations of the shelter and ensures policies, procedures and processes align with the strategic goals and mission of HSLM. The position is also accountable for organizational support of Humane Resource Management, Office Administration including IT, Facilities, and Accounting.
- Management of all staff through regular and ongoing communication, documentation, performance management, coaching and conflict resolution
- Foster a culture of open communication and collaboration through regularly scheduled meetings for all members of the shelter
- Ensure Health and Safety standards and requirements are maintained and regularly monitored for all employees, volunteers and general public
- Oversee recruitment, selection, onboarding and training for all employees. Establish and evaluate standard operating procedures to ensure that animal welfare standards are maintained throughout intake, sheltering and rehoming
- Maintain shelter records and metrics and provide reports as required to the Executive Director
- Develop and implement continuous improvement initiatives that focus on animal care and welfare, the customer service experience and other related processes Oversee security and maintenance of the shelter, its equipment, inventory, vehicles, and grounds
- Responsible for financial management through the regular maintenance of budgets, expenditures and providing financial data as required by the Executive Director
- Manage the annual audit process
- Work closely with the Executive Director as a member of the organizations Senior Leadership team
The ideal candidate must have relevant education and at least 3 years’ experience in a similar role. This is a busy role for an experienced professional with a passion for contributing to the goals of an established community-based charitable organization.
Hours of Work
This is a full-time position working up to 44 hours weekly. Must be available to attend meetings and events during the evening and on weekends as needed.
- University Degree or College Diploma in a related field (required)
- Previous Management experience
- Proven leadership skills with the ability to work well with all members of an organization
- Excellent communicator with proven verbal, written and presentation skills
- Ability to develop and maintain positive and professional relationships with all team members and the public
- Strong computer skills and experience using various software programs, including Microsoft Office
- Proven project management skills
- Ability to influence and/or motivate others with diplomacy and sound judgement
- Demonstrated group facilitation and leadership skills
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office Suite and Google GSuite.
- Strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Acute attention to detail.
- Self-starter who takes initiative and is able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain a positive attitude while working under stress of tight deadlines
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize and adapt to change using strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
- The ability to have fun while working hard is a must.
- A genuine affinity for animals and the benefits of animal adoption.
Essential duties and working conditions
- Will be required to work evenings and weekends as needed, occasionally with limited notice
- Employment is conditional upon maintaining a valid driver’s license and access to a vehicle
- Employment is conditional upon the ability to work around all species of animals safely
At HSLM we appreciate that experience comes in many forms. If your experience is similar to what we’re looking for, please consider applying.
Our team members are important to us. In exchange for your talent and expertise, HSLM provides a competitive compensation package including paid training, HSLM branded clothes, health benefits, an employee assistance program, life insurance, opportunities for professional development, regular team building, the opportunity to walk a dog or play with a cat on your lunch break, and a fun, supportive environment.
Location: 624 Clarke Rd., London, Ontario
Terms of Employment: Salaried position working up to 44 hours per week
Anticipated Start Date: As soon as possible
Salary: Determined based on experience.
Humane Society London & Middlesex (HSLM) is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome diversity in the workplace and encourage applications from all qualified candidates.
HSLM is committed to developing inclusive, barrier-free selection processes, and work environments. If contacted in relation to a job opportunity, please advise us in a timely fashion of any accommodation measures which must be taken to enable you to be assessed in a fair and equitable manner. Information received relating to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
We thank all applicants for their interest. Given the volume of applications received, we will respond only to those candidates who are selected for interviews.
No drop-ins or phone calls please.
To apply for this position, please state your salary expectations and upload your resume and cover letter to the form below. Please note, as a fast turnaround is required, submissions will be reviewed prior to the posting’s close date. Posting will be removed once the position has been filled.
Apply only at: https://www.hslm.ca/news/director-of-operations-employment-opportunity/