Summary of Duties
Reporting to the Senior Manager Facilities, the Manager, Facilities Planning, Energy & Assets (PEA) provides leadership and direction in the planning, and implementation of capital life cycle renewal programs, develops and maintains facilities asset registry, and manages programs to maximize energy savings and reduce energy consumption.
- Provide leadership in the coordination and delivery of programs, initiatives, policies, projects and planning that contribute to the implementation of strategic initiatives for the Fleet and Facilities Division to meet the Council’s Strategic Plan.
- Manage a team of Managers and technical employees including hiring, administration, and performance aspects of reporting employees. Respond to sensitive and confidential human resource issues as required.
- Provide leadership in the execution and delivery of services and programs in the following areas of accountability: following areas of accountability:
- Manage Facilities, Planning, Energy and Assets across multiple sites for the purpose of researching and identifying efficiencies, promoting life cycle management processes and driving continuous improvement;
- Prepare and update long-term master plans as they related to the strategic goals identified for facilities assets and energy management;
- Recommend and manage negotiations for the procurement of energy (utilities) such as electricity, natural gas, steam and chilled water;
- Manage Development Charge reports regarding Facilities assets for use by Finance Supports;
- Ensure regular condition audits and assessment reports are completed to identify deficiencies and concerns and recommend and/or develop appropriate solutions;
- Assist affiliated agencies, Boards and Commissions with Capital and Life Cycle renewal Budget development and Energy Management projects and related reports;
- Provide leadership and support in the administration of software integral to the Division and decision-making; and
- Prepare and manage vendor contracts to ensure contractor compliance with Corporate specifications.
- Encourage and support employee participation and commitment to divisional and organizational objectives. Actively mentor, provide development opportunities and build team performance with direct reports.
- Provide updates, information and recommendations to the Senior Manager, Facilities, on priorities with responsibility to operationalize identified goals and strategies.
- Provide advice and information to various Corporate Committees, Advisory Committees and community organizations.
- Identify and recommend internal controls in the form of policies, procedures, practices in relation to the general and specific risks of the Corporation; ensure internal controls are implemented, monitored and reported on specific to the Unit.
- Liaise with unions on issues that affect bargaining unit employees.
- Promote and foster working relationships with employees and bargaining units and ensure consistent application of the collective agreements.
- Fairly and consistently administer provisions of various collective agreements to promote resolution of grievances.
- May be required to provide representation at mediation and arbitration proceedings.
- Build and support employee commitment to a high level of performance in all areas of customer service, employee safety and delivery of individual goals and objectives.
- Engage in opportunities to work across Divisions and Service Areas in support of enterprise-wide collaboration.
- Demonstrate commitment to anti-racism, anti-oppression, and human rights through interactions with stakeholders, employees and individuals and implementation of policies, programs and protocols that reflect this commitment.
- Demonstrate commitment and adherence to Health and Safety legislation and programs; and actively promote a culture of safety with direct reports.
- Prepare reports for Council and various Committees as required.
- Identify, recommend, adapt and implement innovative and effective work practices and procedures to improve service delivery and the business responsibilities of the team.
- Recommend and develop processes and tools needed to increase efficiencies and improve the effectiveness of services provided by the Unit.
- Implement strategies to track performance measures for Facilities assets, life cycle condition, and maintenance requirements for all components associated with building and structures, using appropriate data collection and analytics.
- Adhere to the Procurement of Goods and Services Policy; includes the responsibility of delegation of procurement initiation approval authority and delegation of approval authority for professional consulting services as per policy amounts.
- Develop and monitor Facilities Division Capital and Operating budgets and ensure production of associated reports.
- Provide input to the development of the annual operation budget for the Fleet and Facilities Division.
- Prepare and submit reports to Committees of Council as required. Assist Division Senior Manager, Facilities with the development of Divisional and Corporate policies as requested.
- Represent the City of London and Service Area in legal proceedings.
- Maintain membership in related Provincial Organizations such as Municipal Benchmarking Network Canada (MBNC Expert Panel), and Ontario Regional Facilities Management Association (ORFMA) to ensure current knowledge of best practices, innovations or legislated changes in the field, and to promote the City of London as a leader, share best practices, build relationships and recommend solutions.
- Prepare and manage vendor contracts associated with Facilities to ensure contractor compliance with Corporate specifications.
- Ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements and related legislation.
- Undergraduate University Degree in Engineering, Science, Business Administration or Public Administration or advanced College Diploma coupled with certification from Ontario Association of Certified Engineering Technicians and Technologists (OACETT).
- Eight to ten years of related experience in Facilities Management, with expertise or knowledge in the following areas: life cycle renewal budgets, asset management and associated technologies, building science, energy management, building automation, facility design and maintenance, or equivalent combination of education and related professional and lived community experience.
Skills and abilities in the following areas are necessary:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the above identified areas of accountability with an understanding of the area’s programs and services and how the work of the area aligns with the objectives of the Division.
- Demonstrated analytical and business planning skills with a proven track record for effectively implementing and monitoring programs and services.
- Demonstrated positive and proactive leadership capabilities, adept at leading a group of employees, contracted services and consultants; demonstrated commitment to developing high performance teams.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire the people they lead through productive and honest dialogue, with personal integrity and actions.
- Ability to be a trusted advisor and/or advocate in sensitive and/or emotionally charged situations.
- Demonstrated perseverance and resilience in addressing and escalating as required, challenges and emergent issues.
- Proven commitment to the safety of employees with knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and applicable regulations as it relates to the position.
- Demonstrated effective decision making, negotiation, planning and project management abilities.
- Demonstrated strong organizational and communication skills, including written, verbal and presentation skills.
- Demonstrated strong public relations skills to build partnerships and collaborative relationships with people both internal and external to the corporation.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, monitor and manage capital and operating budgets, develop and deliver reports.
- Demonstrated project coordination, scheduling and time management skills.
- Exceptional computer application skills including enterprise and asset management software, budgeting and financial management software, and MS Office Suite.
- Ability to provide a high level of attention to detail, make sense of data and solve problems.
- Highly developed interpersonal and customer services skills, including conflict resolution and problem solving; experience working collaboratively with organizations, clients, and other stake holders. Political acumen to identify and manage issues.
- Ability to understand the importance of service delivery; implement initiatives that support the section’s customers in a timely and effective way.
- Exceptional computer applications skills, including enterprise and asset management software, budgeting and financial management software, including Microsoft Office Suite, EnergyCAP, VFA, SharePoint, JD Edwards, Cognos Facilities cube, Team Headquarters, Electrical Safety Authority and Building Automation software.
- Valid Driver’s Licence.
Compensation and Other Information
$92,111 to $125,069
As an inclusive employer, we are committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need.