This posting has expired and applications are no longer being received and this job does not show up on the main job list.
||Dec 02, 2020
||High School Diploma
Considered Canada's most beautiful University, Western's main campus spans 400 acres of Gothic-style buildings mixed with modern LEED-certified capital structures providing an idyllic environment for our community of scholars. The university is located in London, Canada, a safe, vibrant and welcoming community of more than 350,000 people serving as a regional medical and industrial hub for southwestern Ontario.
Facilities Management is responsible for the planning, development, engineering, construction, operation, maintenance and stewardship of all the buildings, infrastructure, sites and services within Western’s campus community. Our integrated team provides excellence in creating and maintaining Western’s facilities and in serving the community. Our vision is to be recognized as the leader in facilities management among research-intensive universities worldwide.
- Perform skilled refrigeration mechanic work associated with refrigeration systems, air-conditioning systems and associated equipment, components and other related processes
- Conduct the duties of a Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Systems Mechanic as laid out by the Ontario College of Trades and Apprenticeship Act and in accordance with applicable codes.
- Fabricate, install, maintain, alter, repair, test, document, inspect, troubleshoot, and perform preventative maintenance on, including but not limited to:
- Perform functions associated with Industrial Maintenance Technician (IMT) certification as required
- Read, interpret, and adjust drawings, diagrams, specifications, and codes to determine layout, type and size of materials and tools to use and ensure accurate records management as required
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of Ontario College of Trades Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Systems Mechanic Program (or Provincial/Territorial equivalent with Red Seal Endorsement (RSE))
Professional Qualifications and Licenses:
- Certified and registered Ontario Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Systems Mechanic (or Provincial/Territorial equivalent with Red Seal Endorsement (RSE))
- Ability to complete and maintain the Industrial Maintenance Technician (IMT) Gas Certificate as recognized by the Technical Standards and Safety Act (TSSA) as developed for Western University
- Maintain an Ozone Depletion Prevention Certificate as recognized by the Ontario Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change or equivalent
- Maintain a valid Ontario Drivers’ License
- Maintain a current First Aid Certificate including CPR where required
- At least three years of construction and/or maintenance experience working as a Refrigeration & Air Conditioning Systems Mechanic in a large commercial, industrial or institutional setting
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Comprehensive knowledge of occupational hazards and safety precautions applicable to the refrigeration & air conditioning systems mechanic trade
- In-depth understanding of tools, equipment, principles, materials, and terminology associated with the refrigeration & air conditioning systems mechanic trade
- Basic understanding of other positions within Facilities Management with which you interact
- Comprehensive knowledge in the current versions of all applicable legislation, regulations, codes and standards
- Comprehensive knowledge in the current version of the Technical Standards & Safety Authority B-52 Code
- Investigate, identify, analyze and document information in written or electronic form and resolve problems
- Ability to meet physical demands of the role, including to lift and transport materials, bend, excavate, climb and reach repetitively
- Ability to work well in a team environment as well as autonomously with minimal supervision
- Ability to work in confined spaces or in areas containing designated substances found within OH&S Act as required
- Ability to perform tasks in emergency situations
- Ability to interpret and work from electronic/written operation instruction sheets as well as mechanical electrical and geographical drawings/maps and produce quick-sketch working diagrams
- Comprehensive electronic, oral and written communication skills with ability to listen fully and respond courteously to instructions, questions and comments
- Dependable and co-operative with ability to establish a rapport with customers, leaders and peers
- Ability to interact with others in positive ways which develop mutual understanding, respect and productive relationships
- Organization skills, with ability to order work materials, tools, and support staff in the shop and on the job site
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca to apply online to job reference #21024, by midnight on January 17, 2021.
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
- refrigerators (stand alone and walk-in)
- freezers (stand alone and walk-in)
- direct expansion systems
- air-conditioning systems
- ice-making equipment
- water coolers
- ultra-low temperature cabinets
- controlled temperature and humidity rooms
- research and/or laboratory equipment requiring cooling