|Dec 16, 2023
Join the YMCA Newcomer Services Team!
Be the Spark! Join our passionate team and be the spark that ignites the potential in others. YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is one of the largest not-for-profit providers of licensed child care in Canada, offers settlement services to newcomers to Canada, operates 2 overnight camps and 16 Health & Fitness branches across Southwestern Ontario, and we have been making a positive difference in the communities we serve for over 50 years!
Position: Language Skills Program Teaching Assistant
Location: London, Ontario - various sites
Start Date: January 2024 (Contract until March 31, 2025)
Schedule: Monday-Friday 8:30am - 3:00pm (27.5 hrs/week)
As part of your total compensation:
• Receive a complimentary YMCA membership to our Health & Fitness facilities, and discounts on YMCA child care and camp programs.
• May be entitled to up to 12 paid personal days – applicable with position and contract length.
• Be part of a caring and supportive network of people to help each other succeed.
• Complimentary access to wellness and counselling services.
In this role, you will:
• Follow YMCA of Southwestern Ontario policy and procedures.
• Act as a YMCA ambassador, demonstrating YMCA core values in your daily work.
• Discuss assigned duties with classroom teachers to coordinate instructional efforts for groups of up to 20 adult newcomers.
• Lead activities with students under the direction and guidance of teachers (e.g., discussions, role-playing, review either in person, online, or in a blended format).
• Tutor and assist students individually or in small groups, either in person, online, or in a blended format, to reinforce learning concepts presented by teachers.
• Aid in the planning and/or development of materials as needed.
• Provide extra assistance to students with special needs, such as literacy needs.
• Keep informed about issues and regulations which affect the lives of the students.
• Participate in Professional Development opportunities as they arise such as the annual TESL Conference.
• Participate in staff meetings and training sessions.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Be committed to diversity, equity, inclusion and building a sense of belonging.
• Embrace and exemplify the Y’s core values.
Education and Skills Qualifications:
• Post-secondary education is required.
• A university degree is an asset.
• A Canadian teaching certificate of authorization issued by a provincial institution or a provincial ministry is an asset.
• Knowledge of Canadian Language Benchmarks and Portfolio-Based Language Assessment is an asset.
• Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
• Good written and presentation skills.
• Good computer skills using Microsoft Office applications and current technology tools; knowledge of learning management systems/Avenue.ca is preferred.
• Experience working with diverse populations.
• Self-motivated and able to work well independently and in a team environment.
• Current and acceptable Criminal Record Check with Vulnerable Sector Screening is a condition of employment for all staff and volunteers.
• Legally entitled to work in Canada.
Why the Y?
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to the development of healthy communities and welcomes people of all backgrounds, beliefs, and abilities. We are committed to helping our employees reach their full potential and are recognized by Forbes as one of Canada’s Top Employers. We offer meaningful employment and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and families.
• The job posting deadline closes at midnight on December 27, 2023.
• Include in your submission your specialized experience, and why you are the best candidate for this role. Please include the name of the position and location in your application.
• We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
NOTE: The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations.
Application Contact Information