Summary of Duties
Reports to the Division Manager. Acts under the direction of a Professional Engineer to coordinate the planning, administration, project management, approval, implementation, monitoring, and maintenance of various long-range plans, policies, technical studies, designs, agreements, and applications relating to transportation planning, traffic signal control systems, traffic operations and street lighting.
- Develops, maintains and monitors the long-range transportation plan and recommends policies to implement the plan, including revisions to the City's Official Plan and Zoning Bylaw.
- Plans, designs, operates, and maintains the traffic signal infrastructure, computerized traffic signal control systems (C.T.S.C.S.) and street lighting networks.
- Resolves traffic engineering and parking issues and collects and analyzes traffic and accident data.
- Formulates Divisional responses pertaining to development applications, site plans and traffic control plans.
- Plans, administers, assigns, reviews, and/or recommends acceptance of various technical studies, designs, drawings, estimates, agreements, applications, proposals or other works submitted by engineering consultants, planners, developers, contractors and others for approval by the Division on behalf of the Department.
- Gives advice on the interpretation and application of the policies, standards, methods and procedures of the Division/Department to consultants, developers, contractors, agents, lawyers, police and fire services, Councillors, members of the public, and to other Divisions, Departments, government bodies and outside agencies.
- Prepares, monitors, administrates and approves expenditures from the current and capital budgets for transportation planning, traffic operations, railway crossing maintenance and the installation, upgrading, operation and maintenance of traffic signals and street lights.
- Recommends changes to technical policies, methods, procedures and bylaws to deal with deviations from accepted standards, precedents or situations.
- Prepares tenders, issues addendums, prepares construction estimates and provides technical specifications for the inclusion in Requests for Quotations/Tenders for the construction, maintenance of traffic signal systems/street light networks and related equipment acquisitions.
- Coordinates the review of engineering drawings and technical reports submitted by Professional Engineers/Ontario Land Surveyors to ensure compliance with City and Provincial standards.
- Ensures compliance with requirements of the Ontario Health and Safety Regulations for traffic signal and street light constructions and maintenance projects.
- Communicates the transportation planning and traffic engineering aspects of a project effectively when dealing with Professional Engineers, technologists, subdividers, other representatives of the development industry, other City Departments and Divisions, Ministries and the general public.
- Represents the City of London in Ontario Court at civil and criminal proceedings relating to matters of liability involving traffic signals and street lighting.
- Coordinates the work of consultants and contractors.
- Prepares reports for recommendation by the Division Manger for various Committees of Council, other committees, City Manager and City Engineer as required.
- Arranges and participates in meetings with other Departmental/Divisional staff, developers, consultants, contractors, police and fire services, individuals and other agencies to plan, discuss and coordinate projects on behalf of the Division/Department as required.
- Initiates changes to the City's traffic/parking bylaws and authorizes related work orders as required.
- Reviews and replies to reports, inquiries and complaints related to transportation planning, traffic operations, computerized traffic signal control systems and street lighting.
- Maintains a divisional storage facility and inventory of traffic control, street light, and traffic data collection equipment.
- Participates at Advisory Committee and Task Force Meetings and represents the City of London at public meetings including environmental assessments regarding transportation, traffic operations and street lighting issues.
- Schedules, assigns, directs and reviews the work of Technologists, Technicians, traffic survey staff and Co-op Students.
- Recommends the scheduling of vacation and the granting of overtime and casual time off, and assists in the review of performance for subordinate staff.
- Interviews and recruits temporary staff and students for the Division.
- Ensures application of and compliance with approved technical policies, standards and procedures of the Division/Department by staff or outside agencies.
- Develops and maintains a computerized database of all street light, traffic signal and accident information within the City's road allowance.
- Performs related duties as required.
Three year Transportation/Traffic Engineer Technology Diploma or a Three year Civil Engineering Technology Diploma which includes transportation and traffic related training.
Over five years' related experience.
Specialized Training & Licenses
Skills and abilities in the following areas are necessary:
- Member of the Ontario Certified Engineering Technician and Technologist (OACETT) as a Certified Engineering Technologist.
- International Municipal Signal Association Level 1 and 2 Certification.
- Demonstrated proficiency in wordprocessing, spreadsheets and various software.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Valid Driver's Licence - Class G.
- Working knowledge in Occupational Health and Safety Act, Municipal Act, Planning Act, Highway Traffic Act and the Manual of Uniform Traffic Control Devices.
Compensation and Other Information
$59,744 - $86,836 (Level 16)
This position is currently under review.
This position is for Traffic Engineering.
Current hours of Work: Monday - Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
These hours of work are subject to change in accordance with the Collective Agreement and may include evening hours and Saturdays.
NOTE: Applicants may be required to complete a job related test.
Our hiring process is in accordance with the Mandatory Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Administrative Policy
As an inclusive employer, we are committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need.