Summary of Duties
Reporting to the Division Manager, Road Operations, the Manager, Road Operations provides leadership and oversight of Transportation and Roadside Operations Supervisors who are responsible for year-round road maintenance work including pothole repair, line painting, sign maintenance, creating maintenance routes and snow and ice clearing across the city on roadways, sidewalks and cycling facilities. This position ensures all activities in the field are completed according to regulations, construction standards and safety standards.
- Provide leadership in the coordination and delivery of road maintenance policies, standard operating procedures and programs that contribute to the implementation of strategic initiatives for Road Operations to meet the Council’s Strategic Plan.
- Responsible for managing employees including hiring, coaching, administration, and performance aspects of reporting employees. Respond to sensitive and confidential human resource issues as required.
- Provide leadership in the execution and delivery of services and programs in the following areas of accountability:
- Implement standard operating procedures for service area compliance with the provincial Minimum Maintenance Standards for Municipal Highways (O. Reg 239/02).
- Oversee the planning and coordination of road and sidewalk maintenance activities including routine and preventative maintenance and documentation.
- Oversee sign shop activities, line painting program, and sign maintenance and installation programs.
- Responsible for all aspects of customer service including investigating, documenting, and resolving concerns and complaints or providing program information.
- Monitor road conditions and interpret road weather information system reports throughout the seasons, particularly winter operations and any other emergency situations related to operations and call out road staff accordingly. Able to respond after hours.
- Conduct regular inspections of public works systems and equipment, reporting any problems and/or recommend action for maintenance or repair as required.
- Maintain communications and relationships with community and stakeholder organizations such as Business Improvement Associations.
- Assist in preparation of tenders/contracts/quotations for related areas. Recommend suppliers and contractors and administer and monitor performance. Coordinate operational and project work with other service areas.
- Maintain legacy and computerized maintenance management information systems.
- Respond to emergency and on-call situations outside of regular hours.
- Demonstrate commitment to anti-racism, anti-oppression, and human rights through interactions with community partners, employees and individuals and implementation of policies, programs and protocols that reflect this commitment.
- Demonstrate commitment and adherence to Health and Safety legislation and programs; and actively promote a culture of safety with direct reports.
- Encourage and support employee participation and commitment to divisional and organizational objectives. Actively mentor, provide development opportunities and build team performance with direct reports.
- Provide updates, information and recommendations to the Division Manager, Road Operations on priorities with responsibility to operationalize identified goals and strategies.
- Identify and recommend internal controls in the form of policies, procedures, practices in relation to the general and specific risks of the Corporation; ensure internal controls are implemented, monitored, and reported on specific to the Division.
- Be knowledgeable of collective agreement requirements and liaise with unions on issues that affect bargaining unit employees as required.
- Promote and foster working relationships with employees and bargaining units and ensure consistent application of the collective agreements.
- Fairly and consistently administer provisions of various collective agreements to promote resolution of grievances.
- Build and support employee commitment to a high level of performance in all areas of customer service, employee safety and delivery of individual goals and objectives.
- Engage in opportunities to work across Divisions and Service Areas in support of enterprise-wide collaboration.
- Identify, recommend, adapt, and implement innovative and effective work practices and procedures to improve service delivery and the business responsibilities of the team.
- Recommend and develop processes and tools needed to increase efficiencies and improve the effectiveness of services provided by the service area.
- Track performance measures for service area deliverables, using appropriate data collection and analytics.
- Adhere to the Procurement of Goods and Services Policy; includes the responsibility of delegation of procurement initiation approval authority and award limits as per policy amounts.
- Provide input to the development of the annual operating budget for Road Operations.
- Represent the City of London and Service Area in legal proceedings as required.
- Completion of a three-year Community College Diploma Program in Civil Engineering Technology or in a relevant area of study or equivalent combination of education and related professional and lived community experience.
- Five to seven years related experience including management responsibilities.
- Certified Roads Supervisor accredited by Association of Ontario Road Supervisors (AORS) is required.
- Operations and Emergency Management training is an asset.
- A valid Class G Driver’s License
Skills and abilities in the following areas are necessary:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the above identified areas of accountability with an understanding of the area’s programs and services and how the work of the area aligns with the objectives of the Division.
- Demonstrated analytical and business planning skills with a proven track record for effectively implementing and monitoring programs and services.
- Demonstrated positive and proactive leadership capabilities, adept at leading a group of employees, contracted services and consultants; demonstrated commitment to developing high performance teams.
- Demonstrated ability to inspire the people they lead through productive and honest dialogue, with personal integrity and actions.
- Ability to be a trusted advisor and/or advocate in sensitive and/or emotionally charged situations.
- Demonstrated perseverance and resilience in addressing and escalating as required, challenges and emergent issues.
- Proven commitment to the safety of employees with knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and applicable regulations as it relates to the position.
- Ability to provide a high level of attention to detail, make sense of data and solve problems.
- Highly developed interpersonal and customer services skills, including conflict resolution and problem solving; demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with diverse populations within the community; experience working collaboratively with organizations, and clients. Political acumen to identify and manage issues.
- Ability to understand the importance of service delivery; implement initiatives that support the section’s customers in a timely and effective way.
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Office, and related software and database applications.
Compensation and Other Information
$97,932 to $128,215
As an inclusive employer, we are committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need.