The Senior Designer / Engineer shall play a leadership role within a multi-discipline team to provide engineering design expertise for Salford Group’s application & tillage products.
The successful candidate will be innovative in leading design activities of new and existing products. The Senior Designer / Engineer will contribute to Salford Group’s engineering processes, standards and best practices to achieve Salford Group’s strategic goals.
This position reports directly to the Engineering Director or Engineering Manager and may be assigned to work with an Engineering Team Lead.
Salford Group, a_ Linamar Company_ is a global manufacturer of farm tillage, application and seeding equipment. We are experiencing tremendous growth and have immediate openings in our Production department. From the entrepreneurial seeds planted by our dynamic founder, to the support provided along the way, all Salford employees are poised for success in this fast-paced and rapidly growing environment. With access to the tools you need to succeed, you will make an impact along with other motivated and engaged people.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with high levels of organization, attention to detail and personal drive to lead and execute product development projects in a timely manner. This person will accomplish this by actively participating in concept design, prototype development and testing. The Senior Designer / Engineer will provide support to production builds by collaborating with all cross functional teams such as product management, customer support, manufacturing, quality and purchasing.
· Plan and manage projects within time lines and budget allocated.
· Design, develop and validate products as defined by the project charter and with adherence to Salford Group’s engineering standards & processes.
· Ensure designs are cost competitive by utilizing current materials, components, systems and manufacturing processes wherever possible.
· Conduct research into the feasibility, design, operation and performance of mechanisms, components and systems
· Prepare material, cost and timing estimates, reports and design specifications for machinery and sub systems.
· Proactively schedule design reviews, update project status and overall risks.
· Coordinate project requirements and timing with all other departments to ensure successful implementation and minimize disruption in day-to-day business.
· Perform engineering analysis (Design mock-ups, tolerance stacks, calculations, FEA analysis) Be thorough in calculations of structural strength.
· Compile and develop design documents such as; design guidelines, FEA reports, physical test reports and field visit reports.
· Producing clear and concise hydraulic and electrical schematics in accordance with design parameters resulting in optimized machine performance.
· Perform design release activity such as drawing creation, BOM update, manual page updates, and manufacturing documentation quality checks.
· Perform change management activity such as creating and tracking engineering change notices as per internal standards.
· Create and maintain Salford internal engineering processes, standards and check sheets.
· Create and maintain DFMEA records for the assigned products/projects.
· Support DFM and DFA activities with Salford manufacturing plants and suppliers to assure manufacturing feasibility of designs.
· Develop and execute testing or analysis plans for product verification and validation
· Analyze field failures and warranty claims, evaluate root cause and propose feasible design solution.
· Mentor junior designers by helping them to learn engineering applications, products and processes.
· Experience in roles that require strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
· Demonstrated ability to work on a team of people across functions and cultures.
· Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects to successful completion.
· Ability to prioritize and work multiple tasks to completion
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· 5+ years mechanical design experience in mobile/off road equipment
· Agricultural background with detailed knowledge of agricultural machinery
· Mechanical Engineering Diploma or Degree
· Mechanical aptitude in both hands on and design capabilities
· Proven troubleshooting skills, detailed knowledge of agricultural machinery is considered a very strong asset
· Knowledge of standard office software packages such as Office, Word, Excel, Proficiency in Solidworks 3D CAD and Solidworks FEA
Salford is committed to promoting accessible recruitment as outlined in the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act. Salford will attempt to accommodate persons with a disability in an appropriate and effective manner throughout all stages of the recruitment process. Accommodations will be provided upon request.
Job Type: Full-time
- Casual dress
- Dental care
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Extended health care
- Life insurance
- On-site parking
- Paid time off
- Profit sharing
- RRSP match
- Vision care
- Wellness program
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
Supplemental pay types:
- Overtime pay