Title: Manager, Artificial Intelligence
File Number: 536
Service Area: Enterprise Supports
Division: Information Technology Services
Position Type: Full Time - Permanent
Employee Group: Mgmt Non Union
Job Close Date: 03 DEC 2023
Summary of Duties:
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Enterprise Applications, Reporting and Analytics, the Manager, Artificial Intelligence will oversee a team of internal and external resources focused on the delivery of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning projects. This position will identify, implement, and sustain advanced analytics solutions to support enhanced decision making and process efficiency in public service.
- Provide leadership in the coordination of projects and initiatives related to Artificial Intelligence and advanced analytics that contribute to the achievement of strategic initiatives for Information Technology Services to meet Council’s Strategic Plan.
- Oversee a team responsible for identifying, prototyping, and implementing value added advanced analytics projects in the form of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning solutions.
- Responsible for the creation and management of all advanced analytics administrative practices used to develop such solutions at the City of London.
- Oversee the life cycle, adoption, and sustainable delivery of existing City of London advanced analytics solutions.
- Continue the delivery of the Artificial Intelligence in Municipal Government Community of Practice serving to raise awareness and connect thought leaders in this area.
- Leverage new visualization and analytics technologies to drive efficiencies and data driven decision making.
- Provide leadership in the execution and delivery of projects, services, and programs for IT client services through the complete lifecycle of a project.
- Manage all aspects of a team of employees including hiring, coaching, administration, training and setting performance objectives for reporting employees. Respond to sensitive and confidential human resource issues as required.
- With a comprehensive understanding of applicable business processes, identify projects and participate in business case development and project management where technology will enhance efficiency and effectiveness in service delivery.
- Coordinate and supervise vendor management including procurement, project management, service level agreements, documentation, and risk management.
- Lead the development of delivery of an annual work area plan for the team with a focus on alignment of goals, metrics, operations, and projects to Council’s Strategic Plan.
- Manage the collection and reporting of performance metrics associated with team goals and implement strategies to track performance measures for Unit deliverables, using appropriate data collection and analytics.
- Review and approve upcoming IT application and infrastructure changes as part of the Change Advisory Board along with other ITS leadership and Chair the Change Advisory Board meetings on a rotating schedule.
- Provide effective on-demand problem solving and solutions to clients.
- Identify and recommend internal controls in the form of policies, procedures,
- practices in relation to the general and specific risks of the Corporation; ensure internal controls are implemented, monitored, and reported on specific to the Division.
- Promote and foster working relationships with employees and bargaining units and ensure consistent application of the collective agreements.
- Liaise with unions on issues that affect bargaining unit employees as required.
- Fairly and consistently administer provisions of various collective agreements to promote resolution of grievances.
- Provide representation at mediation and arbitration proceedings as required.
- Build and support employee commitment to a high level of performance in all areas of customer service, employee safety and delivery of individual goals and objectives.
- Engage in opportunities to work across Divisions and Service Areas in support of enterprise-wide collaboration.
- Identify, recommend, adapt, and implement innovative and effective work practices and procedures to improve service delivery and the business responsibilities of the team.
- Recommend and develop processes and tools needed to increase efficiencies and continuous improvement opportunities to improve the effectiveness of services provided by Information Technology Services Division.
- Adhere to the Procurement of Goods and Services Policy; includes the responsibility of delegation of procurement initiation approval authority and delegation of approval authority for professional consulting services as per policy amounts.
- Provide input to the development of the annual operation budget for the Information Technology Services Division.
Provide updates, information and recommendations to the Senior Manager, Enterprise Applications, Reporting and Analytics on priorities with responsibility to operationalize identified goals and strategies.
Prepare reports and/or represent the Service Area at Standing Committees and Council meetings as required.
Prepare a response to inquiries from elected officials, media and the public as requested by the Senior Manager, Director, or Deputy City Manager of the Enterprise Supports.
Represent the City of London and Service Area in legal proceedings as required.
Represent the Division on the various boards and committees of external organizations, associations, and government partners to promote the City of London as a leader, share best practices, build relationships, and recommend solutions as required.
On a rotating schedule, act as the after-hours Escalation Manager.
Demonstrate commitment to supporting anti-racism, anti-oppression, and human rights through interactions with community partners, employees and individuals and implementation of policies, programs and protocols that reflect this commitment.
- Demonstrate commitment and adherence to Health and Safety legislation and programs; and actively promote a culture of safety with direct reports.
- Encourage and support employee participation and commitment to divisional and organizational objectives. Actively mentor, provide development opportunities and build team performance with direct reports.
Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience in the above identified areas of accountability with an understanding of the Unit’s programs and services.
- Demonstrated hands on experience using Artificial Intelligence or Machine Learning.
- Demonstrated success working with a team using Artificial Intelligence or Machine Learning to identify, prototype, and implement new projects.
- Demonstrated success leading or supervising employees, contracted services, and consultants.
- Proven commitment to the safety of employees with knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and applicable regulations as it relates to the position.
- Ability to understand the importance of service delivery; develop and implement initiatives that support the Unit’s customers in a timely and effective way.
- Demonstrated effective interpersonal and customer services skills, including conflict resolution and problem solving; demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with diverse populations within the community; experience working collaboratively with organizations and clients.
Strong verbal, written, interpersonal, communication, facilitation, and presentation skills; demonstrated political acumen.
Ability to work varied hours to meet requirements of the position including after-hours support for ITS service delivery
Three-year Community College Business Information Systems Diploma or bachelor’s degree in computer sciences or in a related field plus five years of advanced analytics and/or Artificial Intelligence experience is required.
Five to seven years related management experience in an information technology environment or equivalent combination of education and related professional and lived community experience.
Information and Technology and Project Management focused certifications are an asset; examples include but not limited to: Project Management Professional, Microsoft Certifications (Fundamentals, Associate, Expert)
Compensation & Other Information:
$111, 583 to $146, 396
This posting is for one (1) permanent, full-time position.
Requisition Number: 536
Service Area: Enterprise Supports
Division: Information Technology Services
Employee Group: Management (Non-Unionized)
Employment Type: Permanent, Full-time
Job Closing Date:
This posting will close on December 3, 2023.
As an inclusive employer, we are committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessibility supports you may need.
Click here to apply online