This posting has expired and applications are no longer being received and this job does not show up on the main job list.
||Jun 24, 2022
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The Department of Western Technology Services (WTS) is a central source committed to providing high-quality, cost-effective technology solutions and services to the campus community in support of the teaching and research missions of the University. WTS works collaboratively with other IT groups within Western's faculties and support units to leverage central supported technology solutions and services where appropriate.
The Cable Infrastructure Group Team Lead provides leadership and technical guidance to a team of skilled technicians as part of the MAC group, responsible for the installation and maintenance of network cabling and associated devices on the Western Campus. The role participates in the design, planning and deployment of the campus cable infrastructure and is responsible for day-to-day moving, additions and changes to the data and voice services across campus and for researching, developing and deploying new technology. The role is responsible for all leadership functions including recruiting, assessing performance, setting individual and team goals, conflict management, effecting communication, and promoting team collaboration. The Team Lead also participates in short and long-term planning processes for determining project requirements, priorities, setting direction and service offerings.
- Diploma in communication infrastructure, networking and telecommunications or related field
- Completion of Registered Communications Distribution Designer (RCDD) certification
- Completion of, or working towards, Project Management Professional designation preferred
- 7 years of experience in installing and maintaining a data and telephony infrastructure
- 3 years of experience with designing communications networks and working with fiber networks
- 2 years of experience in a supervisory role leading a team of technicians
- Experience in a higher education, commercial or corporate environment preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated knowledge in the design, integration and implementation of telecommunications and data communications technology systems and related infrastructures
- In depth knowledge of preventative maintenance techniques and practices and with blueprints and technical drawings
- Familiarity with project management methodologies with proven ability to effectively manage all resources for project completion, to manage multiple projects, people and schedules within an academic context
- Ability to develop innovative customer service initiatives which improve quality and enhances customer satisfaction
- Strong client focus and a desire to achieve results is essential
- Critical thinking and discernment to assess and scope areas for improvement and an ability to offer creative solutions
- Ability to establish and build healthy working relations and partnerships with peers, and colleagues across campus
- Strong understanding of staff management with an ability to develop a cohesive team coupled with an ability to work effectively as a member of the WTS management team
- Ability to mentor and coach more junior staff as well as ability to break down, prioritize and delegate work
- Exceptional organizational skills, including managing multiple competing priorities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, with the ability to convey information of a highly technical or complex nature to non-technical audience
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution and people management skills
- Excellent troubleshooting ability along with hands-on expertise in technical support
Interested applicants are asked to visit https://recruit.uwo.ca for further information and to apply online referencing job #27354 by midnight on July 10, 2022.
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.