Classification & Regular Hours
Hours per Week: 35
Salary Grade: 15
Please note, there are two (2) opportunities available.
Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" - an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
Schulich Finance provides strong and evidence based financial support to the Dean and Chief Operating Officer (COO), in order to effectively manage the Faculty with the limited financial resources available, as well as communicates relevant financial information to the Dean and COO in order to effectively manage and implement the Strategic Plan. The team provides support, guidance and advise on policy and procedures to all the Departments/units within the Schulich School of Medicine & Dentistry.
The Financial Officer will work with the Director, Finance to ensure the effective oversight and administration of all matters relating to the finances of the School. The role will provide the unit with comprehensive guidance and expert financial management, including detailed analysis and budget planning advice, working in collaboration to ensure the most efficient and proper use of all financial resources (including operating, endowments, special funds, research, hospital envelope and tithes), in accordance with the mission and strategic directives of the School. The Financial Officer will be accountable for ensuring that financial practices are adhered to, and compliance is maintained with relevant financial legislation, funding agency guidelines and University policies and procedures.
- University Degree in a related field (e.g. Business Administration etc.)
- Professional accounting designation (CPA)
- 5 years’ in strategic financial management, budgeting and reporting
- Experience in an educational or research institute or health care environment is preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated analytical ability with understanding of budgeting, forecasting and data collection best practices
- Sound business background with a demonstrated ability to make decisions and develop financial models
- Self-motivated multi-tasker with strong organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and take initiative and follow through on work assignments
- Judgment, analytical and problem solving skills with a consultative and collaborative approach to addressing issues and opportunities
- Strong attention to detail with an ability to process information with high levels of accuracy
- Excellent communication skills with a demonstrated ability to complete detailed analytics and reports
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confidence dealing with all levels of an organization
- Ability to maintain discretion and confidentiality when dealing with financial, human resource and other sensitive documentation
- Financial system and software package skills; intermediate Microsoft Office skills (Excel, Word etc.); expertise with PeopleSoft preferred
Western Values Diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
Effective September 7, 2021, all employees and visitors to campus are required to comply with Western's COVID-19 Vaccination Policy
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.