This posting has expired and applications are no longer being received and this job does not show up on the main job list.
|Nov 22, 2023
The Grand Erie District School Board is guided by our vision to Learn, Lead and Inspire and our shared mission to build a culture of learning, well-being and belonging to inspire each learner. Grand Erie’s 2800 employees provide quality education to approximately 26,000 full-time equivalent students who attend our 72 schools. The Board spans a geographic area encompassing the City of Brantford and the Counties of Brant, Haldimand and Norfolk. The head office is located in Brantford.
The Board requires qualified casual educational assistants to be available, often on short notice, on an ‘as needed’ basis, to replace permanent educational assistants (EAs) during their absences. Applicants must have regular availability to accept assignments.
Educational Assistants are assigned to schools to assist teachers with the preparation, delivery and supervision of special educational programs and services for students with special education needs. Educational Assistants are also assigned to schools to provide direct assistance to students with behaviour support or personal care plans. Personal care may include support with activities of daily living, such as feeding, mobility, toileting, and catheterization. On occasion, Educational Assistants may be assigned to assist students with other identified needs such as academic, socio-emotional and/or cultural to facilitate student achievement and/or their integration into the regular classroom environment.
Responsibilities may include lifting, toileting, feeding, managing student behaviours, preparation of learning materials and implementing Individual Education Plans (IEPs) and Behaviour Support and Safety Plans.
- Preference will be given to candidates with a community college diploma as an Educational Assistant, Developmental Service Worker or Child and Youth Worker
- Community College Diploma in a related discipline (i.e., Social Service Worker)
- Experience working with students in an educational setting and/or with special needs is preferred.
- Consideration will be given to candidates with a Personal Support Worker certificate or equivalent with relevant experience
- In addition, the following would be an asset:
- Current certification in Behaviour Management Systems (BMS)
- First Aid Training
- Autism intervenor course or experience working with children with autism
- Ability to build rapport with students, to work collaboratively with staff and students, and to implement student programs as directed by the teacher
- Demonstrated knowledge of the factors that influence student achievement and/or behaviour, and appropriate strategies to prevent, manage and de-escalate student behaviour
- Knowledge of, and ability to implement, Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) strategies
- Understanding of program accommodations and modifications to meet the diverse needs of students with learning and behaviour challenges
- Awareness and adherence to confidentiality and privacy matters
If your qualifications, positive attitude and commitment to excellence make you an ideal candidate for this position, please submit your application, marked “personal and confidential”, which includes a complete resume, cover letter, copy of your diploma (one document if submitted electronically) with the names and telephone numbers of at least three professional references; your current supervisor must be provided as a reference.
|Hours of Work
|Usually half (3.5 hours) and full (7 hour) days on an ‘as needed’ basis. Number of hours per week may vary, dependent on need.
|Rate of Pay
|$28.02 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
|As soon as can be mutually arranged
|Applications must be submitted via the link: Join us! - Careers - Grand Erie District School Board (knighthunter.com) by Friday, December 8, 2023 4:00pm
Applicants with a disability that requires an accommodation to enable their participation in the interview process should advise the Board when contacted for an interview. Any assessment and selection materials and processes used in the interview process can be made available in an accessible format, upon request in advance.
All new employees are required to provide an original Police Record Check (which includes a “vulnerable sector search”) acceptable to the Board prior to the commencement of employment.
We thank all applicants for their interest but only those considered for interview will be contacted.
Grand Erie District School Board recognizes Six Nations of the Grand River and Mississaugas of the Credit First Nation, as the longstanding peoples of this territory. We honour, recognize, and respect these communities as well as all First Nations, Métis and Inuit Peoples who reside within Grand Erie District School Board. We are all stewards of these lands and waters where we now gather, learn and play, and commit to working together in the spirit of Reconciliation.