This posting has expired and applications are no longer being received and this job does not show up on the main job list.
||Sep 26, 2023
Thames Valley District School Board
Seeks Two Volunteer Community Members
To Serve on Its Audit Committee
The Thames Valley District School Board (the Board) is seeking two community members with financial expertise and business knowledge to serve on its Audit Committee. There is one two-year term and one three-year term position available, effective December 1, 2023. The Thames Valley District School Board is one of the largest public boards in Ontario and serves an area that spans 200 km from Rodney to Tavistock and Glencoe to Norwich, over 7,000 square kilometres. As a public education provider, we offer a full range of programs and services to learners across Thames Valley. We have 160 schools serving approximately 60,000 elementary students and 24,400 secondary students daily. Our district covers urban, suburban and rural communities. Our annual operating budget for the 2023-24 year is approximately $1.1 billion.
The Audit Committee is comprised of three Trustees and two independent members drawn from the community at large. The primary role of the Audit Committee is to assist the Board of Trustees in fulfilling their duties related to governance and oversight.
Reviews and recommendations in the following areas:
- the Board’s financial reporting process
- the Board’s internal control framework
- the Board’s internal and external audit processes
- the Board’s processes for risk assessment and risk management
The Committee usually meets the first Tuesday of the month, from 3:00 – 5:00 pm, four times per year, excluding July and August. Information will be provided to all committee members to clarify roles and responsibilities of audit committees for the school board sector.
Submission of Applications:
Suitably qualified candidates interested in serving on the Audit Committee are invited to submit a letter of interest and resume by 4:00 pm on 2023 September 29 to:
Shannon Smith, Supervisor, Board Services, Thames Valley District School Board, by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates who are short-listed may be requested to attend a private interview conducted by the Audit Committee’s Selection Committee. For information about the Thames Valley District School Board, please visit www.tvdsb.ca. For information regarding school board responsibilities, please refer to Ontario Regulation 361/10, “Audit Committees”.
- Applicants must have accounting, senior financial management or other relevant business expertise to understand the accounting and auditing standards applicable to the Board.
- The applicant must not be a current employee or officer of the Board or of any other district school board or school authority.
- The applicant must not have a parent, child or spouse currently employed by the Board.