Position: Software Developer, Reporting to the V.P. Information Technology
Department: Information Technology
About THINQ Technologies Inc.:
Headquartered in London, Ontario, THINQ Technologies is one of Canada’s largest providers of information technology products, office supplies and computer gaming components. Through our various online assets including PC-Canada.com and DirectDial.com, THINQ Technologies has met the needs of consumers, the gaming community, small businesses, corporations, and government since 1997. Utilizing our network of manufacturers and authorized distributors we bring over 400,000 products from over 250 name-brand manufacturers to the Canadian marketplace 365 days per year. Employees are driven to make an impact, offer a unique value and most importantly, be part of a winning team.
In this newly created position, the Software Developer be responsible for collaborating with the VP IT to fully address required technological upgrades to the existing platforms that run our online businesses.
The current eCommerce platform is mostly written in VB Script / ASP Classic, and the Software Developer will be largely responsible for creating a new version in the latest technologies, .NET 5. They will setup the structure based on best practices while also collaborating with others, so the rest of the team can also participate in the building, testing, and working away on both the .NET backend as well as the frontend templates.
The Software Developer will:
- Familiarize themselves with the existing customer facing site
- SuGgest targeted rewrites of site sections to new technology for faster execution speed in a more flexible technology (.NET 5)
- Explain and document why and how things are done according to all the best practices
- Setup CI-CD / DevOps pipeline for the new technology
- Collaborate with internal teams and provide training sessions to IT team (both backend developers and front-end UI teams with templating engine)
- Investigate and analyze information, draw conclusions, and make recommendations to optimize technology performance
- Analyze performance of programs and take action to suggest corrections for deficiencies based on consultation with VP IT.
- Implement and troubleshoot programming changes and modifications
- Prepare system documentation, test plans and deployment plans, where/when applicable
- Handle complex application features and technical designs
- Maintain a broad knowledge of state-of-the-art technology and/or systems
- Participate in team discussions and develop solutions using best practices in a code review atmosphere
- Provide solutions and/or recommendations as part of a project team, to implement new functionality or resolve technical issues related to developed systems
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Computer/Software Engineering, or equivalent post-secondary education, preferred
- A minimum of 5-years development experience required
- Superb proficiency in .NET and surrounding technologies especially for the web (ASP.NET, C#, .NET Core / .NET 5)
- Excellent understanding of databases and queries for efficiency and performance (SQL, MS SQL)
- Experience with hosted environments in AWS, Azure, Google, preferred
- Solid software engineering foundation
- Excellent oral and written communication skills for effective communication with all stakeholders
- Entrepreneurial in spirit and be committed to developing quality software.
- Hardworking, self-motivated, and passionate about collaboration to support the firm’s growth from a technology perspective
- Inspired by having to think outside the box and work with fellow team members to find solutions to problems.
- Team player who adapts quickly to ever-changing environment
- Demonstrated ability to produce high quality work while working independently, and remotely during Covid-19
THINQ Technologies Ltd. offers a competitive base salary between $60k and $80k to commensurate with experience and an opportunity to earn performance bonuses. After six months employees are eligible to participate in our subsidized benefits package. After 1 year of employment, employees are eligible to join our pension program. The successful incumbent will be entitled to 3 weeks paid vacation each year.
To ensure the safety of our staff and continue operations to serve our customers, staff are currently working remotely from home-based locations. Training will likely occur at the main office site while employing physical distancing measures until such time that the new employee is deemed ready and able to work independently from a remote home location.
How to Apply
Candidates are to submit a resume and cover letter detailing their interest and suitability for the role to: email@example.com. Please use the following subject line for your application to be considered "Software Developer 572". We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
THINQ Technologies Ltd supports an inclusive safe working environment and welcomes and encourages applications from all people. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.