TEMPORARY EDUCATIONAL ASSISTANT - INTERPRETER
(Until June 2022)
The Thames Valley District School Board is currently recruiting a Temporary Educational Assistant - Interpreter to work in a long-term Assignment (LTA).
Under the direction of the teacher, the Interpreter Educational Assistant supports deaf students by using sign language to interpret communications between the student and teacher and others for academic, social and safety purposes.
Duties and responsibilities:
• Interpret communication using sign language, particularly, classroom instructions.
• Interpret communication as necessary between deaf student and other students, or visitors to the school/classroom.
• Provide interpretation for the students for activities outside the classroom.
• Ensure that student is provided with necessary technical and other supports.
• Review and interpret written language.
• Liaise with teacher and student support services to ensure issues are effectively communicated.
• Consult with teacher to ensure that unique or difficult concepts are properly interpreted and communicated to student.
• Support/monitor students to ensure safety.
• Support/monitor proper/safe use and functioning of assistive devices and equipment.
· 2-year or 3-year Community College Diploma in Development Services Worker, Child and Youth Worker, Educational Assistant or Educational Support (Preferred)
· 2-year Community College Diploma in Early Childhood Education and registered with the College of Early Childhood Educators.
You must attach proof of academic qualifications in order to be considered.
Rate of Pay: $22.05 per hour plus 4% vacation pay
Expiry Date: February 16, 2022
The recruitment process requires a criminal background check for work with vulnerable persons and medical screening test.
Conditions of Employment with Thames Valley District School Board, due to COVID-19 requirements
· Mandatory COVID-19 vaccination attestation requirement for all staff as directed by the Ministry. Individual accommodation requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
· Mandatory requirement to wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) based on your role within TVDSB. This may include wearing a medical mask, eye protection and any other protective equipment as directed. Individual accommodation requests will be reviewed on a case-by-case basis
· Mandatory adherence to all Health and Safety Protocols and Training as required and directed
If you were educated outside of Canada, you must have your certificates and/or diplomas or degrees assessed against Canadian education standards. This will enable you to provide proof of Canadian equivalency when applying for a job. The Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada is a membership organization that offers fair and credible academic credential assessment services in Canada. (NOTE: This is different from translating credentials into English). Please use the “APPLY FOR THIS POSITION” link below to submit your electronic application. Only applicants submitted using this link will be considered.
The Thames Valley District School Board is committed to equity and inclusion in the recruitment of qualified staff who reflect and support the diverse perspectives, experiences and needs of our students and school communities. The Thames Valley District School Board seeks to ensure that all recruiting processes are non-discriminatory and barrier-free and will provide accommodations to applicants in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please inform the Human Resources team member indicated below of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you require. Interviews will be conducted on an ongoing basis.
We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted
. A. Hakkers Staffing Specialist