Location: London office | Travel within Elgin & Middlesex Counties required
Application Deadline: Thursday, June 2, 2022, 4:30 p.m.
About United Way Elgin Middlesex
United Way’s mission is to improve lives and build community by engaging individuals and mobilizing collective action.
The most important thing United Way can do for our community is to use our reputation, relationships and expertise to bring together our community’s resources of people, time, talent, relationships, expertise, technology, money and more. By channelling our community’s power behind solid strategies, we can achieve lasting changes in the social conditions of individuals, families and our community.
United Way has an exciting opportunity in the Elgin area for someone who is passionate about the local community and wants to help give people a fair shot at their best life.
The Junior Development Officer will be responsible for the successful implementation of fundraising and relationship management plans for donors, workplaces and other partners across Middlesex and Elgin counties and in St Thomas. The individual in this role is part of a dedicated and energetic team, working in a fast-paced environment. They will work with volunteers and donors to communicate the impact of United Way’s work, inspire local engagement and provide support to the overall annual community campaign which funds vital local supports and programs.
Compensation Structure: Based on the salary band for this role, external candidates can expect to be offered a starting salary in the range of $39,000 - $46,000 ($21 - $25 per hour). When determining the wage, we consider the market, candidate experience, as well as internal equity. Additionally, United Way also offers:
- Three weeks paid vacation time to start
- Flexible working arrangements to encourage work-life balance
- Paid winter shut-down between Christmas and New Years
- Registered Retirement Savings Plan with employer match
- Paid sick/personal days
- Summer office hours
- Extended health benefits
- Employee Assistance Program
- Work with team members, workplace executives, committees and volunteers to implement specific fundraising plans
- Execute the solicitation process for workplace donors, including cultivation, engagement and stewardship opportunities
- Solicit funding from organizations and individual employees within an assigned portfolio
- Use storytelling to communicate United Way’s mission, goals and the need in the community, to promote programs and demonstrate impact to donors and volunteers
- Work to understand the corporate responsibility of corporate partners in order to strengthen relationships, increase engagement and grow fundraising opportunities and potential
- Implement and evaluate year-round relationship-management strategies, communication and recognition plans with donors, volunteers and partner organizations
- Work with Special Events Co-ordinator to provide support for fundraising events and activities
- Work with the Director to identify and recruit volunteers; assist in training/supporting volunteers in cultivation and solicitation activities
- Model and encourage a strong culture of philanthropy and collaboration among all volunteers
- Work with colleagues to identify and implement new fundraising opportunities to increase revenue
- Enter and maintain data in the database in a timely manner; ensure accurate reporting
- Handle highly confidential and sensitive materials and issues with the utmost discretion
- Perform other duties as needed to ensure the safe and effective operations of the organization
Our Ideal Candidate Will Possess
- Post-secondary credentials in non-profit management, business, communications or relevant on-the-job learning and transferable skills
- Strong ethical and donor-centred fundraising acumen
- 1 – 2 years fundraising experience, or experience in a relevant field, e.g. customer service, sales, etc.
- Experience in volunteer management an asset
- Superior interpersonal skills and relationship building skills
- Excellent presentation skills, comfortable with public speaking, and strong verbal and written communication abilities
- Professional demeanour; ability to interact with a wide and varied network of people
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to prioritize multiple and changing demands
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and database management
- Technologically agile; adept social media user; experience managing virtual meeting platforms; experience with fundraising software, e.g., Raiser’s Edge
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment with an above average level of initiative
- Community-minded individual who is progressive, innovative, dedicated and effective
- Valid Ontario driver’s license and access to a motor vehicle with a minimum of $1,000,000 insurance coverage
- Ability to flex work schedule to attend meetings and special events which occur before or after regular office hours
To apply: Please email your cover letter and resume by Thursday, June 2, 4:30 p.m. to Lisa Simmons, Executive Assistant and Human Resources Officer e. firstname.lastname@example.org
United Way will consider non-traditional work experience such as volunteering when examining the skills and knowledge needed for this position.
United Way Elgin Middlesex is committed to diversity and encourages applications from people who are Indigenous, racialized, 2SLGBTQ+, women, persons with disabilities, and other overlooked and underestimated groups.
United Way Elgin Middlesex requires new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 at all times during employment, unless legitimately unable to do so due to their own disability or religious reasons (“Exempt Worker”). The successful applicant will be offered employment conditional upon providing satisfactory proof to United Way Elgin Middlesex that they are fully vaccinated before the Start Date or, alternatively, that they are an Exempt Worker.
As an equal opportunity employer, United Way Elgin Middlesex is committed to accessibility and to protecting the human rights of its employees. In support of this aim, United Way Elgin Middlesex has an accommodation process in place to provide accommodations to employees with disabilities or when otherwise required under human rights laws.