Summary of Duties
Reporting to the Division Manager of Sewer Operations, the Environmental Services Engineer – Sewer Systems Operations supervises staff, and conducts planning, designing, project administration, and asset management with recommendations to optimize existing operational functions with respect to the City of London’s storm/sanitary sewer collection system, stormwater management facilities (SWMF) and emergency spills response service. In addition, the Engineer develops, implements, and promotes new technologies achieving efficient and effective operations to ensure design functionality and long-term infrastructure sustainability.
- Supervise staff; conduct performance reviews, facilitate development and training opportunities, and make recommendations regarding hiring, promotion, demotion, transfer, discipline and termination of employees.
- Provide technical direction and advice regarding issues resolution to management supervisors and unionized technical and field staff.
- Direct technical staff in asset management, planning, design and tender preparation for capital and operating projects.
- Contribute to the preparation of capital and operating budgets relating to the division’s core business processes. Develop master plans for the system sustainability and related financial sources of funding.
- Provide comment on engineering proposals applicable to the Corporation’s storm and sanitary sewer collection system and stormwater management facilities (SWMF) operations.
- Administer the Corporation’s annual maintenance programs specific to its sewer collection systems and stormwater management facilities.
- Assume operational leadership for project administration including engineering design proposal review, administration of capital and operating projects, tender and contract document review, tender and RFP evaluations, recommendation of contract awards and field inspection as it relates to the Corporation’s storm and sanitary sewer collection system and (SWMF).
- Prepare and recommend new design criteria (standards and specifications).
- Provide direction to engineering/business consultants and contractors assigned to capital and operational contracts. Analyse or undertake studies with consideration for system improvements and future expansions of on the Corporation’s storm/sanitary collection system and (SWMF).
- Provide recommendations and enforce department policies and procedures.
- Prepare technical reports and cost estimates.
- Prepare reports for Committee and Council consideration and approval. Prepares information reports and applications for agency consideration and approval.
- Liaise with Fire Services to establish protocols and during significant spills events.
- Assume Overall Responsible Operator (ORO) role and responsibilities in compliance with applicable legislation.
- Provide practical and technical design, construction, maintenance and operational expertise related to procedures and policy development, development of standards, revision of specifications, etc. Review and update material specifications and Standard Operating Procedures.
- Communicate and provide information to developers, consultants, other Service Areas and their divisions, government agencies, utility companies, and the public during the progress of sanitary and stormwater system design, approvals, construction, operations and maintenance.
- Research, plan and coordinate technological improvements for operational effectiveness, implementation of maintenance programs and efficiency improvements for activities associated with the sanitary sewer and stormwater system.
- Evaluate annual maintenance and operations programs and make recommendations for improvement. Monitor and report on program activities.
- Respond to new legislation specific to sanitary and storm collection systems, stormwater management facilities and emergency spills response ensuring operational compliance.
- Make presentations at public meetings, corporations, conferences, schools, etc.
- Represent the City on technical matters regarding legal proceedings, Environmental Assessments etc.
- Represent the Sewer Operations section at Committee and Council.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or equivalent.
Specialized Training & Licenses
Skills and abilities in the following areas are necessary:
- Registered Professional Engineer, Province of Ontario.
- Five years of related experience. Supervisory, team leader, or project leader experience is an asset.
- Current Class II Wastewater Collection license.
- Completion of the Incident Management System (IMS) 200 certification.
Compensation and Other Information
$96,723 to $126,632
Our hiring process is in accordance with the Mandatory Proof of COVID-19 Vaccination Administrative Policy
As an inclusive employer, we are committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need.