||Nov 01, 2023
Join the YMCA Development Team!
Be the Spark! Join our professional and passionate team and be the spark that ignites the potential in others. The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is one of the largest not-for-profit providers of licensed child care in Canada, offers settlement services to newcomers to Canada, operates two overnight camps and 16 Health & Fitness branches across Southwestern Ontario, and we have been making a positive difference in the communities we serve for 167 years!
At the Y, we are committed to providing you with opportunities to develop your knowledge, skills, and career while you enhance the experience of the people that we serve.
Position: Development Officer
Location: Hybrid (preference for Jerry McCaw Family YMCA- 1015 Finch Dr, Sarnia ON), Chatham YMCA 101 Courthouse Ln, Chatham ON, or St. Thomas- Elgin YMCA, 20 High St. St. Thomas ON
Start Date: ASAP
Compensation:$50,000 - $58,000
As part of your total compensation:
• Receive a complimentary YMCA personal membership to our Health & Fitness facilities, and discounts on YMCA child care and camp programs
• Access vacation entitlement in accordance with the employment standards regulations, and up to 12 paid personal days annually
• Benefits package and Pension, applicable with position/contract length
• Be part of a caring and supportive network of people to help each other succeed
• Complimentary access to wellness and counselling services
Under the leadership of the Development Manager – Annual Giving, the development officer is responsible for implementing the annual giving strategy in select communities while building and sustaining a culture of philanthropy. You will lead community annual fundraising campaigns and organize internal fundraising initiatives.
In this role, you will:
• Cultivate relationships, solicit gifts, and provide excellent stewardship to donors
• Establish community fundraising and member engagement plans, goals and metrics
• increase YMCA financial resources through a comprehensive annual giving campaign in select communities
• Focus on donor acquisition and cultivation as a pipeline for giving while working closely with philanthropic partners in the YMCA
• Guide local communities with fundraising goals, while building plans to achieve success including, events, individual giving, sponsorship and community grants
• Manage local fundraising volunteer teams with annual campaigns
• Assess needs and explore new and creative methods to acquire and retain donors
• Be committed to diversity, equity, inclusion and building a sense of belonging
• Embrace and exemplify the Y’s core values
Education & Skills Qualifications:
• Legally entitled to work in Canada
• University or College Degree in a related field
• Development experience or equivalent; donor relations, community fundraising, volunteer management and corporate development
• Proficiency in MS Office applications is required; experience with pulling reports, registration management, input on event website creation and updates, marketing and communication materials regarding stewardship is an asset
• CRFE is an asset
• Ability to develop relationships quickly and easily
• Must be able to work well under pressure and manage multiple tasks and priorities
• Approaches all tasks and responsibilities from a customer service perspective
• Strong problem-solving and organizational skills; effective time management and ability to meet deadlines; ability to manage a flexible schedule
• Must hold a valid driver’s license and have own vehicle or Reliable transportation to facilitate weekly travel between branches
• Knowledge of Revenue Canada rules around donation receipting and general Fund Development topics
• Satisfactory Police Records Check
Please answer the following questions in your cover letter:
1. Please describe your philosophy of Development’s role in an organization.
2. Explain why you believe you should be considered, including why this role is of interest.
Why the Y?
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to the development of healthy communities and welcomes people of all backgrounds, beliefs, and abilities. We are committed to helping our employees reach their full potential and are recognized by Forbes as one of Canada’s Top Employers. We offer meaningful employment and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of individuals and families.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
NOTE: The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is committed to providing a barrier-free environment for all stakeholders including our members/participants, employees, job applicants, suppliers, and any visitors who may enter our premises, access our information, or use our services. As an organization, we respect and uphold the requirements set forth under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (2005), and its associated standards and regulations.
Application Contact Information