This posting has expired and applications are no longer being received and this job does not show up on the main job list.
St. Thomas, ON
||May 16, 2023
Full-time permanent position
Talbotville, Ontario (Rural location)
At Ontario Plants Propagation Limited, our vision is to be Eastern North America’s premier supplier of greenhouse vegetable transplants. In order to help us accomplish this goal, we need to hire motivated passionate people that will support our workforce and facilities. We are looking for someone to join our maintenance team who will operate several lines and perform general building, machinery, and equipment maintenance. More specifically these duties would include installation, troubleshooting, repair, and maintenance of production and facility equipment according to safety, predictive, and productive maintenance systems and processes to support the achievement of the company’s business goals and objectives.
Job Description/ responsibilities:
- Inspects mechanical equipment for the purpose of ensuring that it is suitable for safe operation and/or identifying necessary repairs.
- Assists in the evaluation of equipment functions for the purpose of maintaining facilities and/or complying with mandated health requirements.
- Assists in maintaining irrigation and filtration equipment (e.g., filters, pump equipment, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring equipment is in proper working condition.
- Maintains records for the purpose of providing an up-to-date reference trail and/or complying with mandated requirements.
- Performs repairs to equipment and facilities for the purpose of maintaining facilities and equipment in safe operating condition.
- Assists with setup and/or movement of equipment (e.g., lines, new equipment, etc.)
- Provides emergency/unscheduled repairs of equipment and performs scheduled maintenance repairs of equipment.
- Performs simple machinist duties and responsibilities.
- Performs mechanic skills including, but not limited to, mechanical, electrical, pneumatic, and hydraulic, and troubleshooting and repair of machines.
- Reads and interprets equipment manuals and work orders to perform required maintenance and service.
- Diagnoses problems, replaces or repairs parts, tests, and makes adjustments.
- Maintains heating system, boilers, pumps, valves, and piping.
- Repairing the following equipment daily: Selecting line, Seeding line, Spacing machine, and Lawnmower.
- Perform other tasks as may be assigned.
Physical Location/Work Conditions
- Post-secondary education, completion of a craft apprenticeship, or an equivalent number of years of education and Maintenance Coordination experience.
- Preference will be given to individuals with an agricultural background.
- Highly motivated and able to work independently.
- Exhibit initiative, responsibility, flexibility, and leadership.
- Knowledge and ability to diagnose/set up electrical systems e.g., PLC programming.
- Knowledge of local, provincial, and federal workplace compliance regulations, ordinances, and legislation.
- Strong communication and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to operate various types of equipment: selecting a line, seeding line, spacing machine, and lawn mower is considered an asset
- Required to work 6-8 weeks night shift in the winter season (November to February)
Based on experience
This role is classified as an agriculture employee/farm employee. See the following link for more details about this classification from ESA
How to apply:
Submit your resume:
Mail: 38024 John Wise Line, St. Thomas, Ontario N5P 3T2
Email: email@example.com / Subject title: Maintenance Technician
Fax: 519 637 2449
Ontario Plants Propagation Ltd provides accommodations for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations, please contact Human Resources at 519-637-2119. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those meeting the requirements will be considered.
- Greenhouse environment in a rural area
- Ability to work shifts including weekends
- Ability to work long hours when required, especially during peak seasons.
- Working in high temperatures.