Since 1878, Western University has been committed to serving our communities through the pursuit of academic excellence and by providing students, faculty, and community members with life-long opportunities for intellectual, social, and cultural growth. We seek excellent students, faculty, and staff to join us in what has become known as the "Western Experience" – an opportunity to contribute to a better world through the development of new knowledge, new abilities, new connections, and new ways to make a difference.
The mission of the Office of Faculty Relations (OFR) is to maximize the University’s ability to achieve excellence in teaching, research and service by providing quality advice and support on employment matters in a manner that facilitates positive relationships with and among faculty, librarians, archivists, their representatives, university administrators, and the community.
The Administrative Assistant provides support to the Office of Faculty Relations by scheduling logistics for various events and committee meetings, coordinating communications and managing calendars. The Administrative Assistant will prioritize all internal and external relations and communications on behalf of the Vice-Provost, Academic Policy, Planning and Faculty and the Director, Office of Faculty Relations including drafting memos, letters, responding to phone calls, emails, and other inquiries in a professional and confidential manner. The Administrative Assistant also coordinates and delivers day-to-day operational requirements of the Office of Faculty Relations, including human resource and financial processes in accordance with all policies, procedures and timelines. In addition, the administrative assistant prepares and distributes communication materials and correspondence to internal/external stakeholders via websites and hard copy as required.
- 3 year Community College Diploma in Administration or Business
- Bachelors Degree preferred
- 6 years' experience supporting senior leaders in an academic environment
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to plan, prioritize and manage, multiple concurrent assignments and tasks efficiently
- Adapts readily and effectively to changing priorities and demands
- Ability to work independently and exercise a high degree of initiative, innovation and good judgment in decision-making
- Competency to maintain confidentiality and treat sensitive information with discretion
- Knowledge of event management techniques and tools
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to interact professionally with students, staff, faculty, and other members of the University community
- Knowledge of Western collective agreements and policies impacting faculty
- Ability to ensure expenditures and resources are within allotments, and to make appropriate modifications when required
- Knowledge of Western academic and administrative policies
- Ability to collaborate and develop credible relationships with a wide variety of individuals
- Ability to apply active listening to hear and understand the complete message being communicated
- Verbal communication skills to deliver information professionally in difficult circumstances
- Communication skills to write clearly, and adapt communication style and content for intended audiences in a professional manner
- Intermediate computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite (Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint), with database software (such as PeopleSoft) and with web design using content management systems (such as Cascade)
- Ability to apply critical thinking to evaluate information and make appropriate decisions or recommendations
- Client service skills with an ability to apply tact and diplomacy when dealing with sensitive issues and a range of personalities, motives and interests
- Ability to follow formal business practices with high attention to detail
- Ability to create a positive impression while interacting with others and responding to inquiries, by telephone, in person or electronically
- Knowledge of general office procedures and best practices in records maintenance
Interested applicants are asked to visit: https://recruit.uwo.ca for further information and to apply online reference job #21507 by midnight on March 2, 2021
Western values diversity
The University invites applications from all qualified individuals. Western is committed to employment equity and diversity in the workplace and welcomes applications from women, members of racialized groups/visible minorities, Aboriginal persons, persons with disabilities, persons of any sexual orientation, and persons of any gender identity or gender expression.
Accommodations are available for applicants with disabilities throughout the recruitment process. If you require accommodations for interviews or other meetings, please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or phone 519-661-2194.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those chosen for an interview will be acknowledged.