This posting has expired and applications are no longer being received and this job does not show up on the main job list.
||Aug 11, 2023
The Thames Valley District School Board (TVDSB) is the fourth largest school board in Ontario and a major employer in one of Canada’s fastest growing regions. Our inclusive and diverse board serves 83,000 students and employs nearly 12,000 staff across the City of London, Elgin, Middlesex and Oxford Counties, Chippewas of the Thames First Nation, Munsee-Delaware Nation and Oneida Nation of the Thames. We offer competitive benefits including a pension program and comprehensive mental health and well-being support. Best of all, every role at TVDSB directly supports the success of children and families in YOUR community. Join TVDSB to build each student's tomorrow, every day!
JOB TITLE: Data Analyst
LOCATION: Education Centre, London
HIRING RANGE: $68,325-$87,206 (Subject to Review)
SALARY RANGE: $68,325-$90,357 (Subject to Review)
DATE OF VACANCY: As soon as possible
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 2023 August 25
The ITS Data Analyst provides expertise on data management, analytics and reporting. The incumbent will work both independently and as a part of various teams for the collection, validation, analyzing and reporting of Student Information System (SIS), OnSIS and related data. This effort will be to support various departments to accurately interpret and report on enrolment to meet board and Ministry needs as it relates to projections, budget, revised estimates, accommodation planning, staffing requirements and other objectives.
The successful candidate must be equipped with SQL database and business process analysis skills and experience, excellent interpersonal skills, and the ability to address and facilitate data and reporting integration requirements. Familiarity with the K-12 education landscape and experience working with student information systems and data warehouses would be strong assets to understand the client’s reporting needs, and collaborate with internal and/or external stakeholders to design, develop, and/or enhance the necessary data sets, and deliver required solutions to clients. The Data Analyst will contribute and enhance internal data libraries with the aim to enhance consistency, accuracy, remove duplications and errors and enhance our information reporting methods.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Meet regularly with internal clients and externally with other stakeholders, as required to understand their data and reporting needs
- Collaborate with staff to deliver requirements within the schedule of the clients ’s needs
- Work closely with subject-matter experts to build, maintain and validate the appropriate data sets necessary to facilitate business leader’s needs to make informed decisions
- Present data, leveraging best practices and appropriate tools, in a clear and informative way with the audience in mind
- Be the ITS lead in the maintenance and enhancement of the board’s data warehouse, working closely with the vendor and other department staff in Human Resources, Research and Assessment, Business, Capital Planning, Facilities and ITS
- Responsible for working with stakeholders from across the system and with our external partners to develop, evolve and document the collection, cleansing and reporting of data
- Be the data product owner for board data uploads to EQAO/Vretta and be the primary contact with the Provincial authority relating to this and other assigned duties
- Collaborate with others in gathering data requirements and defining measurable deliverables for data related projects and reporting
- Setting up and managing QA processes for assigned data sets as part of database or system transitions or maintenance
- In collaboration with others, synthesize raw data to drive business decision results, identify key trends and opportunities and report the findings in a simple, compelling manner
- Design and maintain data systems and databases in collaboration with the DBAs; this includes optimization of existing code and proactively identifying areas that require attention.
- In collaboration with others, restructuring data in a format that can be easily read by either human or machine
- Perform modeling tasks and implement enrolment Power BI, as assigned and in collaboration with others
- Provide on-going and real-time access to school/grade/program/system enrolment figures to support projections and accommodation planning work, as well as other stakeholder and reporting purposes
- Provide on-going and real-time access to data used to construct and validate OnSIS reporting
- Support the organizational needs for staffing, including class size reporting and school organization statistical analysis, and ongoing support for allocations to address classes that are Ministry and/or collective agreement violations
- Provide information, by school, by grade, and by program enrolment data during various other times throughout the year to support ad-hoc requests and other projects
- Prepare enrolment reports, as assigned to effectively communicate performance indicators, trends, patterns, and predictions using relevant data for designated internal and/or external stakeholders.
- Present reports and analytical results to key business stakeholders, effectively communicating key findings
- Support ad hoc data requests as directed
- Build and deliver BI solutions, such as scorecards and dashboards, including guides and other supportive materials.
- Collaborate with others, in scaling and championing self-service by guiding stakeholders to find available data and metrics that meet their immediate needs, and where gaps are found, collaborate to address needs
- Ensure all data process flows are appropriately documented to facilitate consistent interpretation and appropriate use of the various datasets that are generated and shared
- Collaborate with others to identify opportunities for improving data sets and processes and participate in their implementation
- School board experience in a role focused on data management or analytics preferred
- Ability to exercise a high level of independence, integrity and confidentiality
- Excellent interpersonal skills with effective communication skills, both orally and in writing
- Ability to work both independently and part of a team
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, managing competing priorities on multiple simultaneous projects
- Demonstrated attention to detail, and skills and confidence to make decisions autonomously, within defined areas of responsibility
- Advanced SQL knowledge for extracting, comparing and collating data from multiple data sources
- SQL Server Reporting Services reporting background as well as ability to work in Power BI, and other tools to produce and support dashboards and other reports
- Experience using APIs for ad-hoc reports, dashboards, system data integrations, and process automations
The recruitment process requires a criminal background check for work with vulnerable persons.
Please note it is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that the application is received by Human Resources on or before the deadline date.
If you were educated outside of Canada, you must have your certificates and/or diplomas or degrees assessed against Canadian education standards. This will enable you to provide proof of Canadian equivalency when applying for a job. The Alliance of Credential Evaluation Services of Canada is a membership organization that offers fair and credible academic credential assessment services in Canada. (NOTE: This is different from translating credentials into English).
The Thames Valley District School Board is committed to equity and inclusion in the recruitment of qualified staff who reflect and support the diverse perspectives, experiences and needs of our students and school communities. The Thames Valley District School Board seeks to ensure that all recruiting processes are non-discriminatory and barrier-free and will provide accommodations to applicants in accordance with the Ontario Human Rights Code and the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA). Please inform the Human Resources team member indicated below of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you require.
Please use the "APPLY FOR THIS POSITION" link below to submit your electronic application. Only applications submitted using this link will be considered.
A. Torchia, Staffing Specialist, Human Resources
We thank all applicants, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Completion of four (4) year post secondary education in Data Science, Statistics or Mathematics, Engineering, Computer Science related field or equivalent,
- A minimum of four (4) years of experience is required, with preference in a K to 12 school board
- Well-developed skills working with SQL, appropriate programming languages, data modelling, dashboarding and reporting, with the ability to interpret findings and produce meaningful insights
- In depth experience with core software applications, including Power BI for enterprise data warehouse, SharePoint, Microsoft Office Suite
- Microsoft Power Platform certification, an asset
- Experience in Business Intelligence