Summary of Duties
- Reports, as assigned, to a manager. Examines drawings, plans, specifications and design data for all types of buildings and structures; inspects buildings and structures during construction to ensure that they conform to applicable Acts, Codes and laws; and inspects buildings for compliance to the Ontario Building Code and applicable standards.
- Exercises powers and performs duties under the Act and Building Code for examination of all drawings, plans, specifications, and design data for all buildings and structures to ensure compliance with the Building Code Act, the Ontario Building Code, related municipal by-laws and other applicable laws.
- Exercises powers and performs duties under the Act and Building Code for inspection of construction at various stages to ensure compliance with the drawings, plans and specifications certified on behalf of the Chief Building Official, and to ensure that it is in general conformance with the Building Code Act, the Ontario Building Code and related municipal by-laws.
- Acts as a Property Standards Officer and conducts inspection of properties under the Property Standards By-law, Vital Services By-law and; issues property standards orders where necessary and recommends legal action; registers and discharges orders.
- Evaluates "alternate solutions" under the objective based provisions of the Building Code to ensure that they will perform as well as a design that would comply with the acceptable solutions in Division B of the Building Code.
- Exercises powers and performs duties in accordance with the standards established by the code of conduct as per section 7 of the Building Code Act.
- Inspects and issues the appropriate Building Code orders in a correct, clear and concise manner whenever contraventions are found and ensures that the contraventions are corrected to satisfy the provisions of the Ontario Building Code and related by-laws all in accordance with established procedures.
- Conducts title searches on the computerized system or at the Registry Office, Land Titles and Sheriff's Office as required.
- Approves payments where appropriate to service providers under the Fees and Charges Bylaw and Development Charge Bylaw.
- Calculates fees for additional property standards inspections in accordance with the By-law.
- On a complaint or request basis, inspects buildings to determine the existence of any unsafe condition(s) as defined in the Building Code.
- May be required to inspect buildings to determine whether a building permit is required, or to determine how compliance with regulations can best be achieved.
- Answers verbal and written inquiries regarding various regulations, policies and procedures to architects, engineers, designers, constructors, and the public.
- Coordinates and ensures that other required approvals related to plan examination are obtained prior to the issuance of those permits for which the incumbent is responsible.
- Keeps manager informed of deviations from office policies requiring modifications.
- May be required to effectively present evidence in court in accordance with established procedures.
- On the approved plans, notes minor construction changes encountered in the field and signs off plans of larger buildings when completed.
- Updates status information on computerized permit database (AMANDA) in accordance with Building Division procedures.
- Calculates and ensures that the applicable development charges and permit fees are applied in accordance with the Development Charges By- Law and the Building By-law respectively.
- Prepares correspondence to applicants using word processing software.
- Checks the estimated cost of construction and if necessary, adjusts same in accordance with the approves construction cost scheduled for building permits.
- Reviews building plans at counter to ensure that the appropriate information is submitted to allow the processing of permit applications.
- May operate a City vehicle with an appropriate valid licence.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Three Year Community College Architectural Technology Diploma or equivalent.
- Four years building construction/design experience with a good working knowledge of the Ontario Building Code, in particular Part 3.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related experience
Specialized Training & Licenses
- Must be qualified in the categories of: Small Buildings; Complex Buildings; Building Services; Building Structural; On-Site Sewage as defined under Div C - Part 3 of the Ontario Building Code.
- Must have successfully passed the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing examination on General Legal/Process.
- Maintain qualifications as determined by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing.
$55,300.00 - $80,380 (Level 15)
This posting is for 2 positions
Hours of Work: Monday to Friday 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
These hours of work are subject to change in accordance with the Collective Agreement and may include evening hours and Saturdays.
Note: Applicants may be required to complete a job related test.