Summary of Duties
Reporting to individual assigned Councillors, and to the Manager III, Legislative Services for administrative purposes, the Administrative Assistant, Council Members provides general administrative support for the assigned Councillors, including those of a confidential and/or labour relations nature.
- Provide a full range of general administrative office support services to facilitate the operations of the Councillors’ Office.
- Take dictation, type correspondence, reports, speeches and other documents. Draft routine correspondence, as required.
- Schedule appointments, arrange meetings and make travel arrangements for the Councillors, as required.
- Provide, where possible, incidental research for the Councillors.
- Process accounts for all Councillors and issue monthly expense summaries.
- Receive telephone calls and visitors for the Councillors, providing an initial response or, where applicable, referring the customer to the appropriate internal or external contact.
- Liaise, on behalf of the Councillors, with municipal staff, various community groups, external agencies and other government representatives.
- Maintain a general working knowledge of Standing Committee and Council agendas, as well as minutes and processes.
- Maintain appropriate follow-up on outstanding matters.
- Act with care and discretion on all confidential matters.
- Use all standard office equipment.
- Attend ward meetings and functions on occasion as required.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Completion of a two-year community college diploma in Office Administration – Executive or equivalent.
Three years of administrative support experience.
Specialized Training & Licenses
Skills and abilities in the following areas are necessary:
Knowledge of municipal government systems is an asset.
Demonstrated customer service focus and ability to prioritize and perform duties with tact, diplomacy and confidentiality.
Excellent administrative (typing, computer), organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
Demonstrated keyboarding skills at 60 w.p.m. are required.
Advanced ability to use Microsoft Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and other relevant software applications.
Compensation and Other Information
$51,913 to $70,236
As an inclusive employer, we are committed to providing a fully accessible recruitment process. Please contact us at any time during the recruitment process and let us know what accessible supports you may need.