ABOUT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Founded in 1993 by James Schmalz, Digital Extremes ranks as one of the world's top independent video game development studios. Originating with the co-creation of Epic Games' multi-million unit selling Unreal® franchise including Unreal and Unreal Tournament, Digital Extremes went on to develop Dark Sector®, BioShock® for the PlayStation®3, the BioShock 2 multiplayer campaign, and The Darkness® II. The studio has reached its greatest critical and commercial success with the free-to-play action game, Warframe®, boasting a global community of 50 million registered players on PC, PS4™, Xbox One and Nintendo Switch™. For more information about Digital Extremes, visit www.digitalextremes.com. To sign up for Warframe, visit www.warframe.com.
WHY WORK AT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Our culture is centered on providing great opportunities to our employees so that everyone feels they are making a meaningful impact. Developing new and existing talent is our long-term focus. We are honored that our work environment has been consistently recognized as one of “Canada’s Top 100 Employers”. We summon you to join our elite team!
The rewards of a career with Digital Extremes include:
- Competitive salary with bonus opportunities
- Excellent benefits and paid time off
- Matching RRSP plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Professional development and career support
- Fitness and parking/transit subsidies
- Daily lunches prepared onsite by our in-studio Executive Chef and professional kitchen staff
- All-day snacks and drinks, sleep pods, massage chairs, cold brew, dog therapy days and more
ABOUT THIS POSITION
Digital Extremes is seeking a senior Layout Artist/World Builder to join our team. In this role, you will be following, and on occasion helping to define art direction through collaboration with the Layout Lead and the Art Director. You will also be collaborating with the Level Design team to understand and balance the artistic and gameplay direction of the project to ensure the successful execution of the game’s visual and technical design on a level by level basis. You will have a genuine enthusiasm and interest in video games combined with strong oral and written communication skills. You must provide a portfolio of your work that demonstrates an understanding of composition, colour theory, architecture, and storytelling and be able to describe the artistic and gameplay reasons of why these compositions work. Preferred extras include advanced level modelling and texturing experience in Maya or 3DSMax, ZBrush, Substance Painter or Designer, and Photoshop. The ability to sketch or concept ideas is also a bonus as this is an important part of relating ideas and planning the production of levels.
- Follow and on occasion help to define art direction through collaboration with the Layout Lead and the Art Director
- Work closely with the Art Director and the Layout Lead while collaborating with the Level Design team to understand and balance the artistic and gameplay direction of the project to ensure the successful execution of the game’s visual and technical design on a level by level basis
- Use analytical thinking and the defined art sets, props, visual FX and lighting techniques to design visually stunning, dynamic and technically efficient environments that support the narrative and game play goals of the level.
- Use traditional 2D and 3D art skills in the production of environments, including the construction of high level compositions and proxy models from which final assets will be built.
- Work closely with the Level Design team to fulfill the primary feature requirements of the game as it relates to layout, and contribute to the team’s goal of reaching the project’s vision. Ensure the visual quality of each environment through tuning, bug fixing, and play-testing
- Collaborate with artists, engineers and designers to ensure effective integration of art, game design, and technology
- Work as a team member with production and development, promoting creative thinking processes within the team and integrating their input to translate the game vision into gameplay reality
- Review levels for visual integrity, playability, and fun factor while considering the creative direction, game play, and the target platforms
- Contribute innovative and original ideas toward all aspects of the game’s production and development
- Deliver work on time and according to schedule as prepared by the Art Director and Producer
- Engage with the entire production team to stay current on the scope and understanding of the project
- Actively participate in the feedback loop including accepting feedback from and providing feedback within the art and level design team as required
- Each Layout Artist is expected to multitask effectively, prioritize competing demands, and trouble-shoot any issues relative to the Layout role that may arise
- A portfolio that demonstrates excellent concepting skills and range of style
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in game engine fundamentals such as performance optimization, game engine tools, shaders and scripting
- The ability to learn new software quickly, including our proprietary game engine
- Exemplary oral and written communication skills
- A genuine enthusiasm and interest in video games
- Willing to relocate to Canada
Digital Extremes is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for the next steps in the hiring process will be contacted.
Please apply for this opportunity directly through our website: https://can59.dayforcehcm.com/CandidatePortal/en-US/digitalextremes/site/DEAPPLY/Posting/View/19