Position: Financial Assistant
Status: Permanent, Full-Time
Application Deadline: June 09, 2023, at 11:59 PM
The London Police Service is hiring a Financial Assistant to support our Financial Services team. Working within the Financial Services Branch, the Financial Assistant is responsible for the accurate processing of accounts payable, accounts receivable, financial transactions and related activities.
- Process financial transactions including accounts payable, employee travel and expense reimbursements, accounts receivable, journal entries, and purchasing cards ensuring appropriate authorization and documentation.
- Communicate with vendors if invoice or payment discrepancies occur.
- Match purchase order and receive reports to invoices and support London Police Service (LPS)’s procurement policies and guidelines.
- Initiative vendor changes and/or setups in accordance with the accounts payable process.
- Record prepaid expenses or accrued liabilities to applicable account(s) and prepare journal entries to record financial transactions.
- Assist with year-end processes and gather documentation to support audits.
- Provide administrative support, including maintenance of spreadsheet programs to support budget development, budget monitoring and budget projections.
- Account for cash received and cash distributed.
- Maintain a petty cash box and complete cash counts and deposits.
- Follow-up on outstanding accounts receivable invoices.
- Process and reconcile special paid-duty transactions.
- Prepare various reports and reconciliations for the Director, Financial Services Branch (e.g., special project tracking, monthly utility and telecommunication spending, Chief and Police Board expense report) as requested.
- Record spending and compile expense data for provincial and federal grants.
- Prepare secondment billings in compliance with contract terms.
- Update month-end reports and prepare year-to-date spending information for Budget Managers.
- Maintain spreadsheets and electronic and paper filing systems for the retention of financial documents.
- Order and purchase supplies for the Financial Services Office, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned within the core competencies.
- Secondary School Diploma or equivalent, plus work-related program up to one academic year in duration (e.g., courses in bookkeeping, accounting, business and/or finance).
- 1-year related experience in a general accounting and/or financial services field.
- Strong problem-solving skills and judgement for decisions involving the accuracy and quality of work, such as arithmetical calculations or reconciliations.
- Strong communication skills for regular contact with LPS members and external agencies (e.g., suppliers, government agencies) to give, obtain, and/or exchange routine information or decisions requiring general discussion and explanation to ensure understanding.
Salary: $47,358 with incremental increases up to $69,128 at 30 months
Benefits: Medical, Dental, and Vision, Life Insurance, Pension Plan (OMERS), Employee Family Assistance Plan, and on-site Fitness Facilities.
Hours of Duty: Day shift; Monday-Friday
Condition of Employment:
All London Police Service employees are required to be fully vaccinated (defined as completion of the full vaccination cycle with a COVID-19 vaccine approved by Health Canada) as a condition of hire unless there is a valid exemption pursuant to the Human Rights Code.
Please refer to the “How to Apply” page on our website for application instructions. We thank all applicants for their interest in the London Police Service; however only those selected will be contacted.
London Police Service is committed to creating and fostering a diverse and progressive workforce that is representative of the citizens that we serve. It is the LPS policy not to discriminate against any employee or applicant, in accordance with federal and provincial regulations and to base all employment decisions only on valid job requirements.
Applicants requiring accommodation for any stage of the application process, please contact Shem Cuprjak, HR Specialist, email@example.com
The London Police Service is located in southwestern Ontario, Canada. We have over 800 members (officers and civilians) and we proudly serve over 400,000 residents in the City of London. Our mission is to ensure the safety and well-being of London’s communities and our goal is to have a membership that is representative of the diverse London community.