We are currently recruiting for a contract, part time (15 hours per week) Recreation Therapist in Family and Community Services. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with others across the organization to support caregiver and youth wellness through engagement in recreation and leisure activities in centre and community-based activities.
This position is expected to begin as soon as possible and end in March 2025.
The designated office for this position is London. Services are provided in Middlesex, Elgin, Oxford, Huron, Perth, Grey and Bruce counties. A flexible work schedule is required, including some work on evenings and weekends.
- Provide responsive and effective services that include assessment, intervention, leisure education, program planning and facilitation, as well as community capacity building
- Work with TVCC teams to support youth with disabilities, their siblings and their parents/caregivers to understand and identify ways to enhance family wellness through recreation and leisure activities;
- Work with youth with disabilities and their families to increase awareness, identify interests and abilities, and develop recreation, leisure and sport skills
- Advocate, consult and support individual and/or group participation in a variety of different settings including the family home, community centres and school
- Develop and implement community partnership programs to support participation and active living
- Develop, adapt, and share healthy and active living information and techniques with clients and families
- Work as an interdisciplinary team member providing information, education and support to staff, and community members
- Support project-based work within the Early Childhood, School-Aged, & Adolescent Program;
- Bachelor’s degree in Therapeutic Recreation or a Bachelor’s degree with a post-graduate diploma in Therapeutic Recreation
- Membership with Therapeutic Recreation Ontario
- Experience working with children and youth with disabilities
- Experience and skill in service and community development
- Strong Family Centred philosophy, Solution Focused approach and Relationship-Centred practice
- Current knowledge of best practices and literature related to disability, family and community development and the Life Needs Model
- Proven ability working in partnerships with a variety of community groups
- Strong interpersonal skills, including excellent communication skills and ability to work in a team setting
- Strong computer skills including proficiency with MS Office Suite 2010 package of software
- Experience with social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, etc.) and videoconferencing software (Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Google Meets) is preferred
- Valid Ontario driver’s licence and access to a vehicle are required
- Current First Aid and CPR certification
To apply, please email your cover letter and resume (as an attachment in .pdf or Word format) to Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject line of your email, please indicate the position you are interested in. To learn more about TVCC, please visit our website at www.tvcc.on.ca
While all applications are appreciated only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
TVCC is committed to making our recruitment and selection process accessible to all candidates. Accommodations for disabilities are available upon request.
Please note that TVCC has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccination policy. Any offer of employment will be conditional on providing proof of vaccination in accordance with our policy.