ABOUT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Founded in 1993, Digital Extremes has become an employer of choice for talented people seeking rewarding career opportunities in the gaming industry. We are widely recognized for creating the award-winning Warframe, a free-to-play, third-person coop, PVP action shooter, space ninja adventure game available on PC, PlayStation, Xbox and Nintendo Switch. Our early titles include Epic Pinball, Solar Winds: The Escape, Unreal and Unreal Tournament co-created series (and all its iterations) as well as The Darkness II. With over 300 of the industry’s widely talented and culturally diverse employees in both Canada and the US, we are warriors combining our expertise to deliver superior fast-paced gameplay and intense melee combat all with a great deal of passion.
WHY WORK AT DIGITAL EXTREMES
Our culture is centered on providing great opportunities to our employees so that everyone feels they are making a meaningful impact. Developing new and existing talent is our long-term focus. We are honored that our work environment has been consistently recognized as one of “Canada’s Top 100 Employers”. We summon you to join our elite team!
The rewards of a career with Digital Extremes include:
- Competitive salary with bonus opportunities
- Excellent benefits and paid time off
- Matching RRSP plan
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Professional development and career support
- Fitness and parking/transit subsidies
- Daily lunches prepared onsite by our in-studio Executive Chef and professional kitchen staff
- All-day snacks and drinks, sleep pods, massage chairs, cold brew, dog therapy days and more
ABOUT THIS POSITION
Digital Extremes is currently seeking a Technical Designer to join our team. You will be responsible for writing and maintaining clean, professional and maintainable Lua scripts to provide designers with the specific functionality that the levels require. You will be collaborating with designers, artists and animators to implement features such as controlling objects, lights and camera systems, in-game events and user interface. You will also be required to provide innovative solutions to address design challenges by creating important or challenging scripts. You will need to have experience in game design, a strong proficiency in Lua or similar scripting languages and basic knowledge of C++ as well as Microsoft Visual Studio.
- Write and maintain clean, professional, and maintainable LUA scripts to provide designers with the specific functionality that the levels require
- Cooperating with designers, artists and animators to implement features such as controlling objects, lights and camera systems, in-game events and user interface
- Collaborate with the design team to provide innovative solutions to design challenges by creating important or challenging scripts
- Support prototypes of new functionalities
- Implement one-off scripts for special levels
- Provides an indispensable link between design and code
- Help set up a scripting workflow and keep a clean scripting interface
- Train the designers as needed on new feature
- Help isolate or reproduce difficult scripting bugs
- Be willing and available for firefighting
- Assist content creators as necessary
- Contribute to a positive work environment by getting involved with all departments of the team, understanding their roles and interacting with the team on a regular basis to help gain a rounded perspective of the project
- Strong proficiency in Lua or similar scripting languages
- Basic knowledge of C++ and Microsoft Visual Studio
- Good communication & problem solving skills
- 2+ years of experience in game design
- A university degree in visual arts with specialization in graphic design, commercial art, graphic communications or cartooning OR completion of a college diploma program in graphic arts
Permanent, Full time (40 hrs/wk) position @ $52,500.00 - $80,000.00/yr based on experience and ability. Benefits include dental insurance, medical insurance, disability insurance and more.
Digital Extremes is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion. We welcome and encourage applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available upon request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for the next steps in the hiring process will be contacted.
Please apply for this opportunity directly through our website: https://www.digitalextremes.com/careers/postings/gamelevel-design/technical-designer